Selecting Loading Ramps

I know this is a pretty basic question, but my new chevy truck is tall and I'm short. I need to buy either a very wide ramp or two individuals so I have one to roll the bike up and one to walk up at the same time. I prefer hauling in the bed as I feel the bike is stable and parking is easy compared to a trailer. Done the hitch hauler, but it limits you to a single bike. What is everyone using to load?  I see a few options with Harbor Freight, I know their stuff is cheap but does it really matter?  Is there one option that works better when wet/muddy? Any advice would be appreciated!

I bought the Harbor Freight tri-fold aluminum ramp and couldn't be happier with it.  It is almost as wide as the tail gate so it is very easy to walk the bike up or down.  The only reason I got it and not a single ramp is because it's so wide it makes going up and down a breeze.  It comes with safety chains so it can't budge and you end up on Funniest Home Videos.  My only suggestion is to add some grip tape to the edges that you walk on because they tend to get slippery when they get muddy, wet, or cold.  Got it for something like $70 after using the 20% off coupon.  Worth every penny considering similar name brand ones are well over $100

• Like 2

i got a set of arched aluminum ramps at Tractor Supply.  The set comes with two ramps that each fold in half so you can put them inside of your vehicle while you are riding.  Each ramp also comes with a ratchet strap attached which you hook to you your trailer hitch or bumper so that the ramps don't slip off the tailgate while you are loading.  Pretty slick.  

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/reese-farm-ranch-arched-ramp-center-folding-pair-1-500-lb?cm_vc=-10005

I like the wide atv type ramps.

But I use 2 2x6's with the ramp ends you can get at lowes. Then I have some grips on them. I just put them close to one another and walk up one while the bike goes up the other. Easy and cheap. Around $35

4 hours ago, SnowMule said:

Snowmobile ramp.  Motorcycle ramps suck.

DSC04031_-L.jpg

What do you do with that thing after you are loaded up?

19 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

What do you do with that thing after you are loaded up?

Shove it in under the track. 

Slide the ass-end of the sled over to one side of the truck bed, shove the ramp in on the other, then throw the sled over on top of the ramp and center everything up.  Set the park brake on the sled and run a tiedown over the track to keep everything in the bed. 

Almost all the weight of the sled's up front on the skis, end of the track really isn't that heavy. 

DSC04748_-L.jpg

My old Pro with my old ramp (in my old truck; though the bed is the same) was narrow enough I could just slide it in between the ski and truck bed.

DSC_1414_-L.jpg

Assault has a wider ski stance than the Pro, so I don't have clearance between skis and wheel wells to slide a ramp in vertically.  So under the track it goes.

http://www.caliberproductsinc.com/snowmobile-trailer-accessories/RampPro.php

DSC04039_-L.jpg

Loading a bike with that ramp is real easy... plenty of width to ride up, or  walk it up from either side, or two guys on either side of a heavy dead-bike pushing it up...

Rarely use the truck to haul the bike though, since the bike's plated.  More fun riding than driving. 

When I do (usually to drop my truck off at the shop for service), bike gets loaded diagonally and ramp sits in on the middle. 

Two bikes get loaded in parallel, ramp between the two. 

Ramp's just the right size to fit in the bed diagonally and close the tailgate. 

Check out a Ready Ramp. It's long, folds up and also acts as a bed extender. Another consideration is what to step (up) on while loading the bike. I made a custom sturdy step, I've seen some guys use a long sawhorse looking thing about 20 inches high - this is as important as the ramp, especially if you're short or if the truck is tall.