125 two stroke, right bike for me?

Hey guys im looking to buy a bigger/better bike and need advice on what would be right for me, im male 6 foot about 150lbs 16 y/o, i have experience with clutch from friends bikes/quads, i have 125cc china pitbike i ride but want something bigger to keep up with my buddys, would a rm125 or yz125 be a good bike for me? I have zero experience on a two stroke and am not sure if they need to be ridden differently from a four stroke etc, i know you mix oil/gas and have to rebuild top end every 50 or so hours, im thinking it would have two mutch power for me and i would only trail ride it down the gravel roads and fields near me, maybe go to a track for fun once a year, would i be able to ride it "slowly" and not be throttled out all the time? I dont know much so i need your guys help, i want a crf150r or some four stroke but thats way out of my price range, only looking to spend $1000-1600 CAD, and are there any precautions and steps to take on 2 strokes to run them good and to no foul plugs etc, give me all your knowledge and advice! 

You would probably do well on a 125.  You are too tall for a 150.  Buy the best condition one you can find and afford.

• Like 1

A 125 two stroke is perfect for someone under 200lbs and moving up.  If you want to not foul plugs, and have (some) luggability, see here:http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/347305-is-your-two-stroke-running-rich-read-here/

http://users.conwaycorp.net/virtus/page2/speed/jetting.htm

http://users.conwaycorp.net/virtus/page2/speed/jetting%20flowchart.htm

Thanks for the help, im just worried itll be too fast for me/my skill level, ive heard changing the sprockets and adding a flywheel weight can help reduce the "hit" of the powerband and make it easiee to ride slowly around trails without stalling, is this true? 

I have a 9oz flywheel weight on my YZ125, it barely makes a difference in the 'hit'.

I find it helps prevent engine stalling during hard braking situations.

Changing the sprocket ratio will reduce the hit but likely make it even harder to ride at low speeds.

If your main intentions are tight trail riding (no MX'ing at all) I'd look at other options than a 125 2T.

Something like a KDX200/220,  KTM150XC, KTM200XC etc. if you prefer 2-strokes.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

@mlatour ah thanks, that clears it up, its not that im preferably looking for a 2t but for my budget there isnt much else out there, id really like a 250f but thats double the money  idspend  on a 2t 125, i know i could always go for a 230f or a ttr but thats boring, i want something i can go fast on and take to a track for fun a few times a year, only have around 1600 CAD to spend. And ktms are quite rare where im from (ontario canada)...

• Like 1

Are you located in eastern Ont., ? if so I'll keep an eye on the local ads here in western Qc.

Yes 1600$ CAD will be very limiting, but if you keep an eye out deals do show up (but sell fast)

2 hours ago, Braapstustu said:

Thanks for the help, im just worried itll be too fast for me/my skill level, ive heard changing the sprockets and adding a flywheel weight can help reduce the "hit" of the powerband and make it easiee to ride slowly around trails without stalling, is this true? 

Yes, it is true that shorter gearing will help you attempt to chug in the woods (13/54) but the FWW helps reduce stalls, make the bike start easier, and gets better traction too. You can change gearing if you want to get onto a track to have normal track speeds but most 125s are geared pretty low from the factory already. 

A 150 pound rider who wants to go fast on a 125 will be a good combination. 

Ok thanks for all the help, an no im in Southwestern ontario, kitchener/waterloo area, one more thing, how does a kx100 compare to a kx125 or other 125, alot slower? Theres a 96 kx100 for sale near me for 1600 but im not sure if itll be alot slower ill just go for a 125, the height on a kx100 looks perfect for me though

15 minutes ago, Braapstustu said:

Ok thanks for all the help, an no im in Southwestern ontario, kitchener/waterloo area, one more thing, how does a kx100 compare to a kx125 or other 125, alot slower? Theres a 96 kx100 for sale near me for 1600 but im not sure if itll be alot slower ill just go for a 125, the height on a kx100 looks perfect for me though

Six feet tall on a KX100? Not gonna work. You need a full size bike. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Six feet tall on a KX100? Not gonna work. You need a full size bike. 

Ok yeah im used to little pitbikes so the thought of getting on a full size powerful dirtbike is kinda terrifying aha, but yeah i did research and found a full size would be best, thanks

You can make the yz125 a suitable trail bike.  I don't have any doubts you will adapt to it and probably the suzuki too quickly.  late 90's kx's were decent trail type engines.  94-98 yz's were trail friendly.  I would avoid any of the 5 speed yz's,  cr's,  or ktm's for your use.

8 hours ago, ossagp said:

You can make the yz125 a suitable trail bike.  I don't have any doubts you will adapt to it and probably the suzuki too quickly.  late 90's kx's were decent trail type engines.  94-98 yz's were trail friendly.  I would avoid any of the 5 speed yz's,  cr's,  or ktm's for your use.

Avoid the 4 strokes? Or are there 5 speed 2t? What makes those years more suitable for trail riding? Less of a powerband "punch"?

Four strokes were not part of that suggestion.  in 2002 yamaha decided to take a big step backwards and put 5 speeds in their 125 mx bikes.  fine for mx only,  but not so good for versatility.   honda started that in 1998 and basically gave up being competitive in racing or sales.  Yamaha put a six speed back in the 2005 to present version.  Ktm got as stupid as honda and yamaha around 2002 as well,  but fixed it faster than yamaha did.  Just check and see if you find one of those years.  the 96-2001 yamaha 125 had lots of parts that interchange (the 94 and 95 just had a dated frame and suspension but are pretty good for trail and the engines are like the 96-2001) and are pretty reliable.  kawasaki and suzuki had some good years,  so don't rule them out,  and they were all 6 speed rigs.  I particularly liked the way the suzuki handled from 99 on.  but I have had good luck with my yamahas (95-2001 and a 2003 that was converted to 6 speed).  good luck finding something.