Tire replacement labor

Got two new tires on sale during the winter.  Called a local dealer/shop to get a price quote on switching the tires over, along with changing out with new tubes that I'm providing.  I must have got the "go EFFFF yourself for not buying tires from us" price because they wanted $40 per tire!  This was also priced with me bringing in only the wheels.

That's the highest I have ever heard of. $20 per wheel was the going rate last I checked (about 20 years ago) and that is when I started changing all my own tires. It now takes me about 30 min per wheel from wheel on bike with old tire to wheel on bike with new tire. I save money and time by doing it myself.

• Like 2

Personally I try and buy from my local shops as much as I can and I have no problems giving them an on-line price and asking if they can come cost or match. IMO there are HUGE advantages to buying local.

With that said, I just bought $800 of parts and tires on-line from one place cus it was cheap, free shipping and my local shops could not get some of the stuff I wanted or it was going to take weeks

I LOVE new tires and after some practice can get a new one on it about 2 beers or 10 minutes once the wheel is off the bike :)

I believe its now time for you to get the right tools and learn how to change them yourself.

20160615_173955.thumb.jpg.af31dc6b2eb9b5ce476428825b142fe9.jpg

There are 100's of posted in this general forum about changing tires if you search.

IMO otherwise heres a good starting vid

Been riding 50 years and only paid once to change a tire, out of town and had a blowout that time. I think it was about 10 dollars.  joe

Unfortunately I live in Sioux Falls, SD right now.  That means no Cycle Gear.  This also means there are few shops.  This also means that the big shops feel like they can act like monopolies at times.

I can change a tire.  I don't want to!  I'd rather pay a reasonable fee to not get pissed off.

• Like 2

The one thing I hate to do is change tires. I'll work an extra hour at work and have the guy do it while I try on some awesome gloves and parade around the shop like homo.

• Like 7

When I buy my new tires my local shop will install for free most of the time every now and then its 10 bucks a tire. I can change them myself but xuck that. I want customer service. I don't really by anything online I try and support my local dealers. When I do the change of the dollar and shipping its not that much more most of the time

• Like 2

I had re-valved my rear shock and simply needed the Nitro re-charged to 160 psi.

Called my local shop and asked how much for me to hand the shock over the counter, have it filled?  I was shocked with their ~$37 quote!

Dude explained to me that the shop minimum charge was for a 1/2 hour of labor...so that was that. (no, I did not pay that and found a local bicycle shop to do it for like $10)

Same shop does tire install/balance on a wheel, off bike, for maybe ~$30.   I stick to doing them myself now.  It is easier than the back and forth to the shop

2 hours ago, woods-rider said:

That's the highest I have ever heard of. $20 per wheel was the going rate last I checked (about 20 years ago) and that is when I started changing all my own tires. It now takes me about 30 min per wheel from wheel on bike with old tire to wheel on bike with new tire. I save money and time by doing it myself.

I change my own tires also but is $20 twenty years ago worth $40 today? I charge more than double for my labor than I did 20 years ago.

• Like 1

I charge $25 and people pay it gladly. :smirk:

Thats some red lobster right there..

Edited by Casing-daily
  • Like 1

I changed a tube today. Just for fun, I called the local shop, and he wanted $45 to do one tube. 

• Like 1

Not sure how it works over there, but if i take my stuff to a shop an they muck it up, they are responsible for the damage. Hence the justification for the price. Accidents do happen, no matter how good you are.

I work in a mag/tyre place repairing damaged wheels....we see plenty from other shops that have damaged them on their machines with repair bills often well over $100. Ever tried to get a rim re-anodised (what most dirt bike rims are)?

Kinda makes that $40 fitting job a bit costly eh.

Not to mention the shop has to buy the machines, rent or buy the building and pay the employee wages etc, it adds up fast.

Ask yourself if you'd do it for the asking price, remembering all of the above.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SteveKing84 said:

Got two new tires on sale during the winter.  Called a local dealer/shop to get a price quote on switching the tires over, along with changing out with new tubes that I'm providing.  I must have got the "go EFFFF yourself for not buying tires from us" price because they wanted $40 per tire!  This was also priced with me bringing in only the wheels.

Depending on the shop thats not an outrageous price. It comes down to their pricing structure. When you get the $40/tire price, the shop is just pricing everything by labor hours. Thats less than 1/2hr of labor around here. When you get the $15/$20 per tire price, the shop has a separate pricing model specifically for changing tires. All comes down to how they run their business. 

9 hours ago, filterx said:

Personally I try and buy from my local shops as much as I can and I have no problems giving them an on-line price and asking if they can come cost or match. IMO there are HUGE advantages to buying local.

With that said, I just bought $800 of parts and tires on-line from one place cus it was cheap, free shipping and my local shops could not get some of the stuff I wanted or it was going to take weeks

I LOVE new tires and after some practice can get a new one on it about 2 beers or 10 minutes once the wheel is off the bike :)

I believe its now time for you to get the right tools and learn how to change them yourself.dsf

What are the HUGE advantages of buying local? I would say that there are def some advantages of buying local but you have HUGE in caps... seems like you know something I don't (or haven't thought of)?

New tires and booze (bourbon for me) labor are the best :) I started giving my used tires to one of my friends who is always riding the worst of everything. To him my take offs are like brand new. That bite of a new tires is so satisfying 

• Like 1

It amazes me that so many riders today don't do their own maintenance like tire changes, fork seals, brakes, oil changes, valve adjustments...etc...
It is hard to change tires but after doing a few its only 30 min to an hour...if I take it off...drive to a shop...wait or leave it...pick it up...drive home...it takes longer and is an expensive hassle...part of the enjoyment I get is the feel of riding a fast, tight bike that I maintained !

• Like 4

It amazes me that so many riders today don't do their own maintenance like tire changes, fork seals, brakes, oil changes, valve adjustments...etc...
It is hard to change tires but after doing a few its only 30 min to an hour...if I take it off...drive to a shop...wait or leave it...pick it up...drive home...it takes longer and is an expensive hassle...part of the enjoyment I get is the feel of riding a fast, tight bike that I maintained !

The lack of trying is what makes 4 strokes "so much more expensive"....I buy bikes and parts from dealerships.....they come with a manual for a reason!

I'm with Sofiedog, learn how to change your own tire correctly and it only takes a few min. I use a tire changing stand, good spoons and it's a snap. I use Tubliss and Nitro Mousses and with practice even those are easy. I go through tires pretty fast, so I'd be at a shop all the time if I paid for tire changes.  Each to their own though.   

6 hours ago, SenorThumpy said:

What are the HUGE advantages of buying local? I would say that there are def some advantages of buying local but you have HUGE in caps... seems like you know something I don't (or haven't thought of)?

New tires and booze (bourbon for me) labor are the best :) I started giving my used tires to one of my friends who is always riding the worst of everything. To him my take offs are like brand new. That bite of a new tires is so satisfying 

This is getting SLIGHTLY off topic but....

I live in a town of about 15000 people and we had 3 bike shops and I am straight up with all of them and they know that I will always buy local first cus when you show your support, you are keeping them in business and if you ever really need them they respect this. I also occasionally ride with the shop guys and I guess this just part of living in a small town and luckily having cool local shops :)

So a few years ago someone gave me a 1982 XS400 street bike that sat for 10 years and having a local guy who knew Yamaha's was invaluable. He gave me so tons of free (and he turned down beer) advice and help that I had no problems buying the OEM parts that were still available for the bike from him. Then there was stuff like a gas tank, full exhaust, and carb that I needed and I found an XS400 forum and bought all the parts I needed from a dude in Maryland and I was like $300 including FEDEX shipping to Canada. Unfortunately the guy who had the Yamaha dealership recently retired and closed up his store but he still does some work out of his garage.

Then there is a KTM dealer and even though I have a Honda CRF250, they are awesome at getting parts and will normally match on-line prices or come close enough. They know I support my local shops as much as I can and firstly, the lent me street legal dirt bike to get my street license while I was rebuilding the XS400, then when I re-built me forks, I bought the rebuild kit from them AND they lent me the $200 Motion Pro tool for the weekend. IMO Priceless.

The 3rd shop is just one dude who is not a dealer but loves the sport and works on most types of dirt bikes and is usually the guy I buy my OEM CFR250 parts and other stuff from. Then I recently needed a new seat cover. Went in, showed him the cover I wanted and roughly what the on-line cost was. He matched the cost and installed the cover for me no $$$$.

They all know I do most of the work on my bikes myself and that I do buy stuff on line but they also know that I always buy my stuff like oils, cleaners, gear (boots, helmets) and IF they can get specific stuff like tires locally form all the shops.

I've got full Pivot Works rebuild kits for my lower linkage, swing arm, steering stem and an 18" rim/spokes coming. I've never done any of this before and I'm pretty confident I can do these myself BUT if I need to use a buddies shop or need help from a dirt bike shop the first thing I do is ask say I need help and can I offer you beer or $$$ for the help? Even if they say nothing, I show up with at least a case of beer for the shop fridge.

Sorry long wind post BUT I firmly believe that in today's day and age, we need to support ALL of our local shops as much as we can or we will lose those local shops. If the local shops do not understand this, then they will eventually go out of business it a loss for everyone.

I'm having a few beers and heading out shortly to wash my bike (in the rain) for the first time since November in preparation all the new parts :)

• Like 3