Lectron Carb Worth It? 2017 KTM 250 XC-W

Hey guys,

I'm a little foggy on the the whole Mikuni carb issues plaguing the 2017 KTM 2 strokes.  I've read many times that installing a Lectron Carb makes a world of a difference.  Saying that, it seem most of the riders that are experiencing the advantages of the Lectron is due to where they ride - "from sea level to 7,000'" and so forth.  Over and above that, the fuel milage seems to be incredible with the Lectron installed.

I'm in SW Ontario Canada.  Our elevation will fluctuate between 500' and maybe 1000'.  Can I make this Mikuni carb sing?!  Or will there be a big enough benefit to justify getting a Lectron (keep in mind, I have to pay USD for the Lectron, which adds at least 30% to the price after all the BS).  I'm hoping the Mikuni will work, but I keep reading review after review about what a PITA it is.  I'm brand new to 2 strokes, and I'm a little nervous about trying to get this carb dialed in.

Thanks for your input.

Edited by quikcolin

You have been spending far too much time reading forum post. The mikuni carb works pretty good when jetted properly. Its not the best but good enough. Get a JD jet kit, and check you float height. The lectron carbs aren't perfect either and tuning can still be required. 

The problem with the mikuni was the jetting was way off and the float level was to high on some carbs. The JD needles pretty much fixes the jetting issues . But some guys would rather keep trying the stock ones and bitch how mikuni works. 

I have a lectron on one of my bikes and its no better than a properly jetted Keihin or even the mikuni carbs.

I got my 17 250xc over a week ago. Jetting from the factory was way to rich in the first1/4 throttle.  Installed the jd kit, blue needle 3rd clip, 430 main 32.5 pilot. Took a 3 hour ride felt it was a little to rich down low. Went to a 30 pilot and that seemed to clean it up. Probably when the temps go up it will need a 27.5 pilot.

How much have you ridden your bike?

• Like 10

I tried one on my 300XC-W. After getting a head, I was able to jet the stock carb to perform just as well as the Lectron so I sold the Lectron.

They say the best thing for the 250's is to get the stock SX head for them.
From a post by James of JDJetting on KTMTALK:
Default Re: Why do recent year KTM 250/300 have a nasty pipe bang?
Question:

Quote Originally Posted by pedec View Post
Anymore results or fixes. I am not liking it on my TE250 and do not want to buy a lot parts for no reason. The bike runs fine other than that pipe bang and vibration and surge from pipe bang. I did buy P3 pipe guard for stock pipe that hope was not a mistake since pipe might be causing problem. Thanks for any updates.

JD's answer:

2017 TE 250 and 250 XC-W OWNERS- GET THE 250SX HEAD:

I can't emphasize this enough!

***Other riders have no idea just how bad your condition is unless they ride your bike. The condition is mis-firing fuel under light throttle that proceeds to ignite in the pipe on alternating strokes, pushing backwards against the motor.

The 250XC and 300XC/XCW are higher compression and can have varied amounts of this, but not the degree of symptoms that the LOW COMPRESSION 2017 TE250 and 250XCW motors have. These motors are unique in their low compression.

--Don't confuse detonation or a hanging idle with your condition, as these are different. Use high octane fuel, rich enough jetting to avoid overheating, and keep the idle speed relatively low.

KTM 250 SX Part:
8 55430006000 CYLINDER HEAD 250 SX 1

• Like 2

LOL, this is the same stuff from 16 years ago when Honda first used Mikuni carbs. If tuned they will run really good but everybody pulled them off and installed the PWK airstriker which is a fine carburetor but money wasted. A lectron is said to give better fuel economy and be far less sensitive to major elevation changes in one day. That would be a reason to switch over vice being unable to jet a Mikuni. 

13 hours ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

The lectron carbs aren't perfect either and tuning can still be required. 

But, but, but...

2 hours ago, billtro11 said:

Ive gotta agree with GreenMT.  Your mikuni should be just fine considering the small altitude change in your riding.  

Whats the bike like now?  

I literally just picked the bike up from the dealership about 2 hours ago.  Other than a quick idle at the dealership, I haven't ridden it.  I'm getting the impression that it should work just find for me.  Just a matter of jetting it correctly... I'm going to fiddle with the stock jets, etc. and if I can't dial it in correctly, order a JD jet kit.

Regarding the SX head... are they expensive?  Geez, every time I turn around I'm pouring money into this brand new bike :-o

• Like 3

There are a ton of the Lectrons for sale at ktmtalk if you want to try one (guys seem to be ditching them en masse).  Stick with the stock carb.  The head is a better bang for buck from what I have read.

• Like 3

I literally just picked the bike up from the dealership about 2 hours ago.  Other than a quick idle at the dealership, I haven't ridden it.  I'm getting the impression that it should work just find for me.  Just a matter of jetting it correctly... I'm going to fiddle with the stock jets, etc. and if I can't dial it in correctly, order a JD jet kit.
Regarding the SX head... are they expensive?  Geez, every time I turn around I'm pouring money into this brand new bike :-o

The 2017 SX head is $117 from RMATV

IMG_1491679189.741689.jpg

I have a Lectron and love it.  But my bike is ridden everywhere from 2,500 feet to 10,000.  Personally, I wouldn't worry about it if I was only riding 500 feet of elevation change,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KennyMc said:

The 2017 SX head is $117 from RMATV

IMG_1491679189.741689.jpg

I can't find this on their website to save my life... can you past the link?

I can't find this on their website to save my life... can you past the link?

You have to go into the OEM section for the '17 250SX

You have to go into the OEM section for the '17 250SX

What about Slavens high comp heads that are available? Same idea?

What about Slavens high comp heads that are available? Same idea?
I had read somewhere that the "Mule" head was a cut stock head. I would call Jeff and talk to him as I have no experience with it.

Love the RK Tek head I have. You talk to Kelsey before you can buy one cause he wants to know how you ride and where you ride and if you want to run pump gas or race gas. But definitely on the more expensive side.

IMHO, if you are gonna go the head route, I'd prolly just go the 250SX head way given James from JDJetings suggestion.

I'd say it depends how much you ride. I don't have a 17, but am strongly thinking of getting a 15 250 after they sold out of 16 200s. Either way, I'm pretty sure I'd be getting a Lectron for any 2-stroke I end up getting. Here's the way I see it:

1-Range and fuel savings. This is a big thing for me. I NEED to be able to do 100km on a tank. Even better would be 125km but maybe that's a pipe dream. By most accounts (~80%+) it seems like the lectron does bump the average two stroke up from ~23mpg to ~33mpg or so. That not only gives me the range I require, but it's 7L per 100km vs 10L per 100km... I ride roughly 150-200km per week. That works out to savings of ~$6/ride. Yearly, that works out to around $290. Not insignificant! So in my case, it pays for itself within a year and a half, but realistically it pays for itself within a few months because otherwise I would also need to invest in a large tank (~$250) if I wanted to get that range without the lectron. Fuel savings shouldn't be at the top of your priorities list, but if you ride a lot like I do, it makes a significant difference. Again, range is what's important, and the better fuel economy helps reach that and save $$$.

2-No need to fiddle around with jets. This seems to be your main concern. I ride on mostly flat terrain at sea level. Sometimes go to 800-1300m but that's fairly rare now. Temperature is fairly constant at around 25-40 degrees Celsius (77-110F for you yanks). I'm sure it would be fairly easy to jet, but I simply don'want to deal with it. I already find it annoying to have to premix on a smoker, I want the rest to be as simple as possible. 

Either way, I do plan on calling Lectron up and asking them a few questions. My main concern is fuel savings, which they obviously can't promise or give a hard number on. I'd be willing to spend the money for that reason alone if it does deliver on that front. A few less than stellar reviews of it, but overwhelmingly the reviews seem positive, 2017 or not. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, quikcolin said:

do yourself a favour and just ride the bike, don't believed everything you read or hear.

Edited by DEMI
  • Like 8

On 2017-04-08 at 10:46 PM, Bitteeinbit said:

I'd say it depends how much you ride. I don't have a 17, but am strongly thinking of getting a 15 250 after they sold out of 16 200s. Either way, I'm pretty sure I'd be getting a Lectron for any 2-stroke I end up getting. Here's the way I see it:

1-Range and fuel savings. This is a big thing for me. I NEED to be able to do 100km on a tank. Even better would be 125km but maybe that's a pipe dream. By most accounts (~80%+) it seems like the lectron does bump the average two stroke up from ~23mpg to ~33mpg or so. That not only gives me the range I require, but it's 7L per 100km vs 10L per 100km... I ride roughly 150-200km per week. That works out to savings of ~$6/ride. Yearly, that works out to around $290. Not insignificant! So in my case, it pays for itself within a year and a half, but realistically it pays for itself within a few months because otherwise I would also need to invest in a large tank (~$250) if I wanted to get that range without the lectron. Fuel savings shouldn't be at the top of your priorities list, but if you ride a lot like I do, it makes a significant difference. Again, range is what's important, and the better fuel economy helps reach that and save $$$.

2-No need to fiddle around with jets. This seems to be your main concern. I ride on mostly flat terrain at sea level. Sometimes go to 800-1300m but that's fairly rare now. Temperature is fairly constant at around 25-40 degrees Celsius (77-110F for you yanks). I'm sure it would be fairly easy to jet, but I simply don'want to deal with it. I already find it annoying to have to premix on a smoker, I want the rest to be as simple as possible. 

Either way, I do plan on calling Lectron up and asking them a few questions. My main concern is fuel savings, which they obviously can't promise or give a hard number on. I'd be willing to spend the money for that reason alone if it does deliver on that front. A few less than stellar reviews of it, but overwhelmingly the reviews seem positive, 2017 or not. 

You know what... the way I see it, a Lectron takes all the fiddling out of the equation.  As someone that doesn't have any interest in adjusting and fine tuning a carb - I just want to kick it and rip it - the advantages of the Lectron from a install it and forget it are appealing.  I just spoke to my local distributor about one... it makes sense for me.  In addition, like you say I get better fuel milage (not a huge concern for me, but it's "greener") and at the end of the day it's one less thing I need to worry about.  I hear the power curve is much smoother as well.

I'm going to order one locally and give it a shot.  I like the ease of use "factor" :)

Thanks for everyone's input.  I agree with both side - if you're good at fiddling and enjoy that sort of thing with a carb, then for where I ride it might not make much sense... but for me, and my level of knowledge and interest in fiddling with a carb (because today it's 25 degrees, but feels like 30 with humidity or it's 30 and feels like 45 with humidity)....

I bought a 2016 ktm 250 xc with a lectron already installed. I don't like messing with trying to figure out jetting/tuning either. 

I've ridden as warm as 75*, as cold as 20, elevations from 500-3000 ft. Mostly in Michigan or Tennessee. No issues. 

Previous owner gave me the stock carb also, but I haven't felt the need to put it on and mess with the jetting. 

I'll occasionally get a little bog/stumble if I go from near idle in 2nd or 3rd gear, moving very slow and go to wide open throttle....in these cases the error is probably mine, the bike should probably either be higher in the RPM range, or I should be a gear lower, or slip the clutch a touch to avoid this...But I just came off a 450xcf where it would just pull through something like that, learning curve for me. I've just gotten back into dirt bikes after 15+ Years away. 

The Mikuni is fine. People are throwing a fit about it for nothing. I had a TMX on my 01 YZ125 that gave me zero issues, and neither has the new one on my TX300. 

Get a JD Jetting kit and make sure your reeds are sealing. I have mine set at JD's recommended settings for 2000' - 5000'. I have ridden it all the way up to 8500' and haven't had to touch anything. The only time I had to tweak with the air screw was when the temperature plummeted to 30 degrees a couple weekends ago. I'd rather pay $80 for a jetting kit than $500 for a new carb and throttle assembly. 

Edited by CSAR FE
  • Like 4

There are several you tube videos concerning airbox mods and jetting mostly on 17 husqvarna twostrokes.I dont know if any of this would be of concern on a 2017 ktm 300 or 250 2st. Check it out.

• Like 1

Update. I was able to buy a NIB Lectron Slavens Mule HV off KTMtalk :). It's been shipped. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Pretty excited!

• Like 1