Battery Life- CRF250L

Had my 2014 CRF250L almost 3 years (64,600 on the bike- no car or truck, so that accounts for the high mileage) and I'm still on the original battery. I'm pretty surprised I haven't had to replace it yet, but it cranks up easily every day. I'm tempted to go ahead and replace it before it actually fails on me. Anyone else had a battery last this long? Sort of wondering how much longer the battery has. Also, how hard is this bike to bump start? Unfortunately, I live in an area with almost no hills, so I have a feeling it might be pretty tough.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mike117 said:

Had my 2014 CRF250L almost 3 years (64,600 on the bike- no car or truck, so that accounts for the high mileage) and I'm still on the original battery. I'm pretty surprised I haven't had to replace it yet, but it cranks up easily every day. I'm tempted to go ahead and replace it before it actually fails on me. Anyone else had a battery last this long? Sort of wondering how much longer the battery has. Also, how hard is this bike to bump start? Unfortunately, I live in an area with almost no hills, so I have a feeling it might be pretty tough.

General and not bike specific.

Your use may actually extend battery life as opposed to the bike sitting. The last battery I replaced on a bike also had 64k on it, but 8 years. That's the only battery I ever replaced that I've owned since new. I also ride regularly. 

My truck battery is 14 years old and 120k. I don't drive it a lot but do drive it regularly.

Check bike specific forum on bump starting, but you should be fine with right technique.

• Like 1

Thanks, Flagstaff... I was thinking the amount of riding I do might actually help extend the battery life; God knows this bike never sits still for long!

• Like 1

The amount of use ( riding) and/or using a battery tender greatly extends battery life.

I have a 2006 Yamaha Rhino side by side  that I bought new in the summer of  2006. The battery was fine for about 3 years then I was having to jump it if it set more than a day without starting it. Instead of replacing the battery I stuck a battery tender Jr. on it. I leave it connected anytime the thing is setting in my shop and not being driven. It will now crank right up even at -30 degree temps. I'm still on the OEM battery. I have one for my 2014 CRF and G650GS also. Still on OEM batteries.

• Like 3

+1 on battery tenders. If you fully charge a battery every day, it can last a decade, especially if temperatures are mild.  A long time ago I started my stuff every month or two, and let it run for 15min or so, but would forget, or miss a couple months, and come spring time, the battery was weak or dead.   Now I use plug-in or solar tenders and get several years out of batteries for stuff I don't use often, or let sit over winter.

• Like 1

Yup, I have a 2013 on the stock battery. On all of my vehicles (from cycles to cars to tractors) I normally get at least 8 if not 12 years out of the batteries if I keep them charged but not over charged.

• Like 2

I have an early 2014 still on the original battery. I don't even use my tender any more since Ninja Tracking ceased to be and I had to remove it.

• Like 1

On 08/04/2017 at 9:28 AM, mike117 said:

This is a very timely thread...mine is a 2013 and doesn't get a whole lot of use, and sits for weeks at at time when I'm at work. I've never had an issue with starting and it fired up no problem a couple of weeks ago...and has continued to do so up until last Friday. We went out as usual and stopped and stared a few times until we got to the top of the island...we stopped for a coffee there for about 30min and when I went to start it the dash lights flashed then went off...it wouldn't even attempt to start. We swapped battery off my mates CRF and she fired up no problem...so put mine back on a jump started it and it fired up...ran for about 30sec and then died. So, when they die they will strand you...with absolutely no warning :foul:

In the end my mate went off and got me a new battery and we continued for the rest of the day.

20170414_120515 (Medium).jpg

• Like 4

Mine just died out too.  I installed a battery tender and ran a micro usb charging cable up the frame to attach to my phone mounted to the bars. For the last couple of weeks I had the cable plugged into the phone (phone turned off) and now my battery is completely dead, completely. Had the battery charging for the last two days but it will only charge enough to dimly light up the headlamp, won't even light up the instrument panel. Ordered a new battery yesterday...

I ride (my other bikes) year round and have stock batteries that are 8+ years old, if used regularly they last forever. 

• Like 1

Well my 2014 factory battery is still going strong... just in someone else's bike.

I recently replaced it with a Lithium battery for weight savings and it was in my garage sitting on the battery tender. Buddy asked if he could buy it plus the battery tender off me. Apparently, now he uses it to run lights on his KX250F...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kompact said:

I ride (my other bikes) year round and have stock batteries that are 8+ years old, if used regularly they last forever. 

I actually think I destroyed the battery internally because she had been starting fine that day, right up until that last time

• Like 1

On 4/7/2017 at 9:28 PM, mike117 said:

I bought my bike in October of 2012 and it has never been on a tender and it sits often for long periods of time and only has 2,400 miles on the bike. I have been trying to kill it in a way as an excuse to get a lighter one ... :lol:    but, It has always started so far ... :facepalm: 

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 2