DRZ400 weight by year?

Sorry if this has been answered before: Has curb weight and dry weight changed significantly in any of the DRZ400 models (not counting SM) from 2001 to 2017? I see specs all over the place and not sure what's accurate.

Also, just as a side question: when did it switch to an aluminum cylinder head? Is this as durable?

Weights haven't changed the whole run , E model a bit lighter than S's . Reported weight are just what magazines writers "heard or read" someplace so they end up wrong/off and all over the place .  Some weigh with no fluids(dry) other weigh with 1 gallon gas and oil/coolant full, still others use a full tank of gas ect... but the bikes themselves all come off the factory floor the same since the first day to now.

They've always had aluminum heads , as are all bike motors ( well maybe there are some oddball things somewhere but I don't know of them).

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 3

The number I have read and most trust is 317 wet. This includes the tool kit. My 285 weight comes from weighing what I have taken off and subtracting from 317.

For comparisine, a DRZ400E weighs 265 wet, and a 2007 WR450 weighs 271 wet. Add a Baja Designs DOT light kit to the WR450 and your at 278 wet.

The DRZ400E is 265 wet? There's that big a difference between that and an S? (I think I am misunderstanding, having a derp moment)... I never see any WR450's around in Florida that are street legal, would like to find one. Yamaha has always been my favorite bike, in sport or street, except they just don't offer anything in the mid-range dualsports. :(    

They make a 600cc Tenere overseas but only offered the Super Tenere here which was a monster and very heavy.

I am thinking a KTM 450/500 and lowering it a bit. I have found that even though I am not short, my ride is a lot more fun when i feel like I can really put my legs down and have some leverage if need be. Beta motorcycles look really interesting, but have never even seen one in person, much less do I know their real world rep for reliability etc...

Last weekend I weighed my 07sm. Almost bone stock, Happy Trail SL racks, 2 45l panniers, a rotopax mount, small toolset, Shinko 705's, aftermarket windscreen, full tank of fuel, Moose aluminum skid plate:

340lbs

I weighed it to get an idea of what was happening when I tour the shit out of it this coming summer. 

• Like 3

Startling how fast it adds up, huh?

When I had the S subframe on my bike, with the Suzuki steel rack and four 16oz bottles of water and the toolkit, I was looking at an easy 16lbs on the top of my fender.

Just the subframe and lights on the S VS the E is around 8lbs.

Your mirrors are a pound a piece. The horn and steel bracket are 9oz. Your steel exhaust is 13 pounds. The lead acid battery is around 9 pounds and the box that holds it is a little over a pound. Not sure what the steel sprocket weighs but it (*begin edit* ) must be well over two pounds, because an aluminum 49t sprocket is 15oz. The stock headlight is pretty near 2 1/2 pounds, whereas a 30watt scooter style fixture, like the KTM uses, is 70% lighter. If you update the rear master cylinder, you can delete the janky reservoir protector, which saves another 4oz. Save 4oz, four times, and BOOM!, another pound is gone! Modern brake discs shave a little over 1/2 pound, more importantly, that savings is unsprung weight, just like the aluminum sprocket.

Your eyes don't lie; lighter bikes even look lighter!

IMG_20160501_115018.jpg

20161030_113756.jpg

20161016_184714.jpg

IMG_20160609_125553.jpg

IMG_20160612_163113.jpg

IMG_20160612_105849.jpg

Edited by Bermudacat
500 Internal Server Error
  • Like 6

There's a big scale at work I'm dying to push my bike onto. I've taken a decent amount of stock weight off, but added a big tank, hand guards, etc, so I'm very curious if I broke even or went above stock weight!

Are there any 310 wave rotors? 310 is an odd size so I could only find a generic one on ebay that I wouldn't use. I have an SM so i can't, or don't want to space out my front caliper just 5mm for a 320 rotor. I would gladly put my second set of stockers up used on my S wheels on ebay for some fancy waves for my SM wheels.

On 4/7/2017 at 9:57 PM, kayakingsteve said:

Sorry if this has been answered before: Has curb weight and dry weight changed significantly in any of the DRZ400 models (not counting SM) from 2001 to 2017? I see specs all over the place and not sure what's accurate.

Also, just as a side question: when did it switch to an aluminum cylinder head? Is this as durable?

all the S weigh the same. all the SM weigh the same. all the E weigh the same. 

you will never have a 'light' drz, so it's better to concentrate on the rider and his/her skills than to try and make a 320lb motorcycle into a 240lb dirtbike. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ohgood said:

you will never have a 'light' drz

True, it will never be a KTM EX300, but you can make it weigh in the same as any other 4T with with a plate. :cool:

• Confused 1

On 4/11/2017 at 11:03 PM, Beta300recat said:

True, it will never be a KTM EX300, but you can make it weigh in the same as any other 4T with with a plate. :cool:

ktm 500

50 lbs less

50 hp

I'm not a brand loyalist. 

10 minutes ago, ohgood said:

ktm 500

50 lbs less

50 hp

I'm not a brand loyalist. 

So your KTM 500 weighs 268 wet? What year?

Post pic of your KTM 500. :smirk:

On 4/7/2017 at 9:57 PM, kayakingsteve said:

Staying in model line up, weights have not changed ..model to model there are some small differences 

Just now, ptgarcia said:

I have a hard time believing this. Someone needs to post the weight from a certified scale.

I have a hard time caring about what you believe.

You have a search engine in front of you, use it! :rolleyes:

I'll tell you what, you made the claim, how about you back it up?
  • Like 2

On 12/30/2018 at 11:00 AM, Beta300recat said:

So your KTM 500 weighs 268 wet? What year?

Post pic of your KTM 500. :smirk:

i don't own a ktm, but I'm also not a brand loyalist  😉

i used a search engine to find this... 

ktm 250 lbs dry (let's add 12 lbs for two gallons of fuel)= 262

drz400 320 lbs wet, let's subtract 12 lbs for two gallons...

308 - 262 = 46 lbs difference. 

dang it i was wrong. 😞 it's not gift pounds after all 😞

drz hp stock 35

ktm hp stock 50-57 depending on fueling

i guess that eight and power difference might be noticable tho 😉

ya, i own two drzs , but i know a better bike when i ride it

Screenshot_2019-01-02-16-38-07.thumb.png.b6682b10c9c76c3b505f607e92d3d007.pngScreenshot_2019-01-02-16-38-25.thumb.png.62066918de053643957f5099d126a806.png

20 hours ago, ohgood said:

i don't own a ktm

Exactly what I thought. :rolleyes:

Wanna see a pic of my Beta? :D

On 12/30/2018 at 3:51 PM, ptgarcia said:
On 12/30/2018 at 12:22 PM, Beta300recat said:

I'll tell you what, you made the claim, how about you back it up?

I have a hard time caring about what you believe. :smirk: