Wr426 as a supermoto

How do these bikes go on road? Looking at getting one and doing the conversion, just wanted to know if this model had any known problems with it.

9 hours ago, thredbo said:

How do these bikes go on road? Looking at getting one and doing the conversion, just wanted to know if this model had any known problems with it.

Your better off with a 04 and up WR450. My preference is 07 - 11 WR450. 

23 hours ago, stevethe said:

Your better off with a 04 and up WR450. My preference is 07 - 11 WR450. 

Why's that?

Get what you can afford and do the conversion.  

I have noticed that my WR450 Supermoto is a bit buzzy at highway speed with even with 15/42 gearing, around town it's ok I guess... however with that in mind, the throttle is abrupt (bike either wants to accelerate, or decelerate).. it doesn't like steady throttle cruising (tends to surge). 

Cooling in stop and go traffic will be an issue for you to address.  I'm not sure if the stator assembly on a 426 has enough output to run a rad fan and all the street electronics or not.  So, even with oversized radiators, high output water pump, etc it will heat up FAST in traffic.  

The oil system in the motor is it's biggest downfall for street usage, especially with only having 1 litre capacity.  Added to that, but the piston wrist pin & piston solely depend on splash oiling.  So expect fast overhaul schedules.

Lastly, don't expect to ride very far between fuel stations.

With all that being said, a WR Supermoto is a formidable weapon in the twisties or on the track once the suspension is properly setup.  It'll loft the front end easily.. There's not a lot of special tools required to do any maintenance on the bike.  Valves generally don't budge, transmission will survive if your treat it with respect.