Grunt Trail Hill Climb Challenge, June 2017

Some of you know my obsession with this cursed trail....

3/4 of a mile, 900 vertical feet, full of rocks and mayhem!

Food, prizes, video, music and some serious high adrenaline. 

Prizes for youth, open division, seniors, adv bike, legends....

So, you can't race 100 miles? So what, you only have to go 3/4 of a mile!

the trail goes to the top of twin peaks in Capitol forest outside of Olympia Wa.  

More details to come in the coming weeks. 

Edited by TigerTanker
  • Like 2

The location is a great place for a party. If you've never been the scenery is amazing. Rainier, Baker, Helens, Adams, olympics can be seen at the top. 

The ride up is a bumpy one and you wonder if it's ever gonna stop. A rewarding achievement to get to the top without dumping it. My video doesn't do the slope justice as it's pretty steep in places. That said, an intermediate rider can get up there with the right tire and psi. 

Ill post up the specific location of the trail to give the shy a chance to practice the hill before race day. 

• Like 1

The three riders are surrounding tombstone turn. You could spent a lot of time getting there, just to dump it. By the time you get there, you're going to be a bit amped, maybe tired, and the rocks are getting bigger and bigger.... the guy on the left did a ghost bike flip right there if memory serves me well. 

Yep, wanna see all the smack talkers about the Grunt trail show up.... yup, gonna see just how fast you make it up there..... Don't talk the talk, walk it...

There are two parts of the Grunt Trail. The top part comes off the Capitol Peak trail, and it's a bouncy ride to the top, but it's only 1/3 of the trail. If you go down at the intersection, it is a long super rocky trail to the bottom. Trail starts just above the road, and someone last year cleared out the brush so the bottom can be easily accessed from the bottom.

The Grunt Trail Challenge isn't about climbing the toughest hill in the region, it's about speed, grace and your time to do it. An intermediate rider can do the trail....a workout for sure, but can do it. But it takes an extremely good rider to break 3 minutes. Break 3 minutes and you can talk all the $hit you want, until then...... I'm calling out any keyboard commandos on the Grunt Trail. Dissing the GT is fighting words for me...... 

8 hours ago, jasongind said:

I went up to those antennas back in 2010. I don't remeber going up that Hill though. Is there another route up to them?

That trail is a bit hidden over the years, especially the lower part. There are a few ways to get up to the tower. You can get up by the road and get around a gate, or you can go up the Twin Peaks trail by continuing South, instead of veering sharp West at the intersection of the Grunt/Twin Peaks trail.

That trail is a bit hidden over the years, especially the lower part. There are a few ways to get up to the tower. You can get up by the road and get around a gate, or you can go up the Twin Peaks trail by continuing South, instead of veering sharp West at the intersection of the Grunt/Twin Peaks trail.

Yeah I must have went up the road.

8 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

Yep, wanna see all the smack talkers about the Grunt trail show up.... yup, gonna see just how fast you make it up there..... Don't talk the talk, walk it...

There are two parts of the Grunt Trail. The top part comes off the Capitol Peak trail, and it's a bouncy ride to the top, but it's only 1/3 of the trail. If you go down at the intersection, it is a long super rocky trail to the bottom. Trail starts just above the road, and someone last year cleared out the brush so the bottom can be easily accessed from the bottom.

The Grunt Trail Challenge isn't about climbing the toughest hill in the region, it's about speed, grace and your time to do it. An intermediate rider can do the trail....a workout for sure, but can do it. But it takes an extremely good rider to break 3 minutes. Break 3 minutes and you can talk all the $hit you want, until then...... I'm calling out any keyboard commandos on the Grunt Trail. Dissing the GT is fighting words for me...... 

2:46 today on the first try. Do you have anything harder?

• Like 2