new or old cr + prefab frames

Hi,

first question - does anyone know of a company that sells prefab new CRF frames ready for a CR motor conversion. i know that companies like cp500 sell the y pieces and some mounts. are they simple enough to buy these parts have a new frame ready and give it to a fabricator to weld, or is it a more complex than that? i presume someone would make suitable air boots to fit too?

If there are prefab frames i would start to lean towards an earlier model 99-01 CR250 and save some $$$ on an older bike and look to convert it into a newer frame down the track sometime - Otherwise i think i might stick with looking for and 04-07 CR250

just after people's opinions n insight,

I have heard the earlier motor is a simpler motor to work on an to tune, and most people seem to suggest its the better motor, but i dont' like the earlier frames.

I am not 2 stroke savvy and thats part the reason why i want to get one, and i just want to get a light fun bike to ride. 

Edited by nks0
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, shrubitup said:

The 02+ CR125 or CR250 frames STILL handle good by today's standards. No reason to stuff smoker motors into the four stroke frame. 

^^This^^ The only reason I see to stuff a different engine in a modern chassis would be a bigger bore like a CR500.  Otherwise you'll be spending a lot of time with trying to fabricate something that really wasn't engineered or designed by true professionals that put the R&D at the manufacturer level with unlimited resources... 

If HP matters to you the 02-07 CR250's were rated at 47-48 HP vs. the earlier HPP engines from 93-01 with aprox. 42-43 HP atrw. 

For MX I've been privileged to have ridden a couple of very fast 250 02-07 CR250's.  As well as ridden a local pros 07 model that was detuned for hare scrambles.  In 40 yrs. of owning & riding many different brand makes the 02-07 CR250's chassis, suspension & engine combo are hard to beat once set up...     

Edited by H4L
  • Like 1

Not to de-rail the thread, but since we're on the subject: How does the 200-2001 chassis compare?  I just picked up a 2000 CR250R with a locked up motor.  Not sure if I want to rebuild the 250, or do a 500 swap.  

The frame of the 00-01 is the same. I have had both and still have my 01. I still really like my 01 and have dialed it in to the feel I like and see no reason to change. Really can't go wrong from 00 and up.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RiderX said:

Not to de-rail the thread, but since we're on the subject: How does the 200-2001 chassis compare?  I just picked up a 2000 CR250R with a locked up motor.  Not sure if I want to rebuild the 250, or do a 500 swap.  

If you look at the chassis frame rails of the twin spar from the 1st gen 97-99 & 2nd gen 00-01 there isn't much of a difference.  The 02-07 3rd gen AF chassis was much improved & has a lot more flex.  Honda got it right with the 3rd gen AF & there is a noticeable difference from the 2nd gen AF.  Most people you will find are doing 500cc conversions with the 3rd gen AF for a reason.    

• Like 2

15 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

The frame of the 00-01 is the same. I have had both and still have my 01. I still really like my 01 and have dialed it in to the feel I like and see no reason to change. Really can't go wrong from 00 and up.

indeed. much better frame than gen1, equipped with a y-piece cradle and still no case reed engine.

as for the conversion, i would like to say that the gen5 frame for instance works/handles much better with a 2-stroke engine in it, instead of it's original plant. honda R&D can be copied and even outshined with a little craftsmanship. there is also always a good reason to choose a 250 over 500, if you just tryin' to built a bike for pure mx. but again just sayin...

lol , to each their own and they all shine at something- nothing like watching a kid on a kx85 smoking a big bore guy in the trails.

• Like 1

I've built a few gen 2, 3 and 4 conversions. Ridden and raced CR250's and CR500AF's plenty in A class. That being said, dam few riders need a better bike than a gen 2. Simply put they are not good enough to exceed what the gen 2 frame/chassis offers. Sure gen 3's and 4's handle better but if you can't go that fast then it's not going to matter. Now that I'm in the vet class speed bracket I like to joke that I can go slow on any bike....

The thing that most riders miss the ball on is the simple stuff, keep motor running strong and tight (clutch, piston, reeds and pipe), good tires and fresh suspension that is well tuned. With that combo a decent rider can go fast. A slow rider the bike won't make them fast...

Well put! My 01 has speed in it I can't utilize. But now that it is dialed in it allows me to maximize my skills(limited) which is my desire.

you just can built one of the sickest 2-strokes out of a 00/01

imageproxy_php.jpg.1773a2a7eb7442fa2246c514ecbaeda0.jpg

cinq5.jpg.e2f9498849df1592d818d4c1c815e8b3.jpg

Edited by Loc-