May 7 Fool's Gold

Any CERA riders here?   I will come up to help, volunteer for road crossing duty or check point duty.    :thumbsup:

f gn.png

Edited by bigbob

oh and let's just say I am an old friend of the club.  :rolleyes:

feboldpic0862_zpsa349359d.jpg

photo.JPG

• Like 3

No. I plan on putting zero effort in and just riding it for the sake of it. 

• Like 3

I think we need a wingman for this one..... any A class enduro guys out there wanna let us ride on your minute?  

• Like 1

I'll ride this. I'm free as the cross country season is over. I have zero timing equipment but can ride well enough to burn checks. Let's do this.

• Like 1

I'm signing up the day of so I'm probably screwed on getting a row assignment that I actually want. Just going to tape a chart and a wrist watch to my handle bars and make the most of it. 

• Like 1

photo today on Dist 36 website, looks like the top of the Rock LobsterIMG_7440.JPG.e25542d866df60179bb3c6a0de18e011.JPG

• Like 1

Trail 10 going up the second rock face I think. Could be wrong, but I think they set up a camera there to watch the fun.

8:12

Edited by tapeleg

I rode the enduro with Shagnasty from TT. We both signed up the day of and since my d36/ama was not active they forced me to sign up C which proved to be a struggle all day long. Between the two of us we had zero equipment to stay on time. I had printed the chart out and attached it to my bike and had a wrist watch around my handle bars and just tried to guesstimate the rest. Given how ill-prepared we were I didn't think we did too poorly with the timekeeping. I think we burned 2 or 3 checks, was dead on with one and a minute or two behind on the rest. I had never done a time keeping enduro before so the whole concept was pretty foreign, especially having come from the HS world where it's just about balls out speed. 

We started on row 89 of 94 or so and struggled with being in the back of the C class all day. Having to pass people over and over with each check was frustrating since there's not a lot of room to get around in the single track and I didn't want to be too big of a dick while I did it. Not to mention if I passed then there was Shagnasty to come around shortly after. We wound up doing two loops of the same course for like 70 miles total. I was a little underwhelmed with the route selection and duration of the race. I had been lead to believe the race would be 80+ and would not be recycled terrain. All in all I had a good time and thought that it was a fun event, much more relaxed and felt more "for fun" than the HS scene, which I enjoyed a lot since I'm not really into the whole run your buddy's bike over to get the next position attitude.  I just wish that the trail selection for the course was a little more interesting. I've ridden everything at GT several times over and didn't think we really touched any of the good stuff out there with the exception of the flume trail. I'm not sure if there was some exception this year that lead to that happening because in past year's I know they've hit much more of the content out there. Anyway, that's my boring ride report. Will see how we wound up in a few days. 

• Like 5

huh, in 2006 we did 92 miles and lots of event-only trails.   I was a C slow rider but I always pulled over again and again for guys passing me

People were good about making room, just kind of sucks having to go by the same people after each check. I know it's on me for not preregistering and keeping my cards up to date so I could have entered in a higher class.

Never done an enduro, I've only done hare scrambles. I just can't get it through my head that one can be penalized for being too fast. Then again, I suppose it does create opportunities to stop and have a beer? :thinking:

• Like 1

the test sections are where you go fast,  they set up at least two of those where the A riders are tested to go fast thru gnarley shit and the rest just loose minutes.    But yeah most of it is timing and pacing your ride  to stay on the minute, like a car rally.    What I liked about it is your are competing against others and yourself like golf.    I never liked the pure bar to bar racing of HS... or MX  but  do dig watching that stuff  

35 minutes ago, Mongo134 said:

Never done an enduro, I've only done hare scrambles. I just can't get it through my head that one can be penalized for being too fast. Then again, I suppose it does create opportunities to stop and have a beer? :thinking:

Don't worry, you won't have that problem

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, the Riddler. said:

Don't worry, you won't have that problem

Some truth with a bit of facetious sarcasm mixed in..... How about the check points, do they have potty breaks? 

• Like 2

You get a 30 minute break for fuel/food/whatever about half way through, assuming you're not so far behind that you need to make up time. I found we had an over abundance of time in the beginning of the day because the mph for each section was really low. Second half they turn it up and you're ending with 25-30mph averages which is unmanageable on single track for most people. AA riders had to be bored though because even doing a mid 20mph wasn't that difficult on nearly every trail they used for this. 

Question is...... Who is doing VCGP 2018 with me next year? Still2Smokin will, I know that. We're the only two in our regular group who races (every once in a blue moon). Always wanted to do that race something bad, just don't wanna go it alone.

Riddler will probably have a lawn to mow.

Edited by Mongo134
  • Like 1