How do 2t 250s do at tracks?

Just got my first 2t, it's a CR250 2002. I'm in love with the power and speed, but a little anxious about how it would hold up at a track? Just a standard dirt track with tables and doubles.

Also dead scared to wheelie it powerband isn't your friend on wheelies in my opinion.

Anyone have a 2t 250 and can give some input? Just a heads up before I break more bones this summer at the track

I'm not a big track rider, but I will say that 250 two-strokes did just fine for decades. With proper setup and technique, you can probably hang with just about anybody. Take the time to rebuild your suspension if it hasn't been done in a while and really work on that setup.

• Like 3

I'm not a big track rider, but I will say that 250 two-strokes did just fine for decades. With proper setup and technique, you can probably hang with just about anybody. Take the time to rebuild your suspension if it hasn't been done in a while and really work on that setup.

Will do! Many guys have said there not as beastly as they seem, so the issue is just me aha. Had a yz250f before this cr250 and the yz was a good solid one, but I wanted more power
  • Like 1

I have limited experience on the CR250, but I think it's a solid platform. And I'm a firm believer that it's "mostly" rider and less so the bike, but the bike definitely matters. And if your motor is reasonably squared away, the suspension is what will make the difference.

• Like 2

It's a 2 stroke, unload it, fill it up, then piss on every corner with a smile on your face. That's what we do up here in the PNW

• Like 2

depends on who is riding it

That's right...takes basic skills or you can hurt yourself...if you're riding a 250f and feel you want more power, you will do fine...the lightweight feel and the 2t hit are really fun on a track

My dad loves his 250 2t. He has ridden it at the track a couple of times and the powerband has caught him off guard a couple of times. I don't know how much experience you have, but keep your knees pinched on the frame to prevent any whiskey throttle.

They are a blast to ride, (especially when you unintentionally wheelie a whoop section like I have) and you'll love it.

• Like 1

Raced one for years with success against 450s . Can't go wrong with good old 250 twostroke :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I've had a yz250f before this one and wasn't enough power so I got the 250 2t. The powerband is out of this world, and I love it, but not sure on the track. I've been to tracks a good handful of times and I'm not bad, but I'm no ken roczen.

250 2stroke is the best machine for the track in my opinion(enjoyment wise), it's light, fast, and cheap. I find it easier to ride than a 450 and more fun, but that's my preference(I tend to be unique). It has more than enough power to clear anything and can keep up with anything on the track. If the bike is too much at the moment you could use a flywheel weight and a mellower pipe until you get used to it. some people aren't 2 stroke guys tho and can never get used to them, ride whatever is fun for YOU:ride:

• Like 2

The CR250R is probably the most successful motocross bike ever produced.

If you haven't mastered basic riding skills, such as wheelies, use extreme caution trying to ride on a track. Try to find a private track to ride with only a couple people. If you go to "open practice" at a busy track you'll be a danger to both yourself and the other riders.

• Like 2

The CR250R is probably the most successful motocross bike ever produced.

If you haven't mastered basic riding skills, such as wheelies, use extreme caution trying to ride on a track. Try to find a private track to ride with only a couple people. If you go to "open practice" at a busy track you'll be a danger to both yourself and the other riders.

The CR250 is completely different from the CR250R. Ones a four stroke (CR250R) and the others a 2t (CR250). I've had the Yamaha equivalent of the CR250R, which was the YZ250F. Not enough power so I went with the 2t CR250. But it's insane power for a track, thus this forums existence.

The CR250 is completely different from the CR250R. Ones a four stroke (CR250R) and the others a 2t (CR250). I've had the Yamaha equivalent of the CR250R, which was the YZ250F. Not enough power so I went with the 2t CR250. But it's insane power for a track, thus this forums existence.

No noobie...
The CRF250R is a 4 stroke.
The CR250R is a 2 stroke.
  • Like 9

No noobie...
The CRF250R is a 4 stroke.
The CR250R is a 2 stroke.

Now tell everyone else who posts their 4T garbage with YZ250, CR250 etc thread titles. On the app I have to go up and actively scroll right to see the forum so I'm always getting sucked into 250 4T threads idgaf about. All these kids don't know the 2Ts ever existed I guess.
  • Like 4

02 CR's along with the 03-07's are great bikes, and can do quite well on tracks in the right hands... I know a guy that won 24 moto's in a row on an 02 CR 250...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

Now tell everyone else who posts their 4T garbage with YZ250, CR250 etc thread titles. On the app I have to go up and actively scroll right to see the forum so I'm always getting sucked into 250 4T threads idgaf about. All these kids don't know the 2Ts ever existed I guess.

Every time I go to a Yammie parts counter and say "I need a ______ for a YZ250" the kid brings me a _____ for a F. Then I have to get upset and say "that's not for a YZ; its for a #%*?ing quad with two wheels!"  Then he gets confused, because most of the blue shops around here are not aware that oil goes in the gas tanks of the real bikes that they don't care about selling. 

• Like 2

Every time I go to a Yammie parts counter and say "I need a ______ for a YZ250" the kid brings me a _____ for a F. Then I have to get upset and say "that's not for a YZ; its for a #%*?ing quad with two wheels!"  Then he gets confused, because most of the blue shops around here are not aware that oil goes in the gas tanks of the real bikes that they don't care about selling. 

Lol, yeah. So annoying. Most internet part searches are the same way. Oh well, guess I'm just getting old and grumpy.