Help me understand why coolant hoses cost $200+

While some here might not purchase from Ghina, I bought the $83.00 delivered version from fleabay. The quality looks nice, the construction at the "Y"'s is excellent. 

Yeah my thermo now is gone, fricking weeping POS, in conjunction with a new Mylers radiator last week

• Like 1

I'm guessing that silicone hoses cost so much more since folks happily pay for them.

Oddly enough, they don't really have any redeeming benefit over standard rubber hoses, outside of aesthetics, which I don't care much about. The worse sealing ability is a dealkiller for me, as well.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/5-pros-and-cons-of-using-a-silicone-radiator-hose (YMMV on article accuracy)

Downside is there may not be a rubber equivalent kit for modern bikes, so we may be a captive audience. I will probably try the sub $100 ebay kit option when the time comes.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Phuzzy McPhuzzface said:

I'm guessing that silicone hoses cost so much more since folks happily pay for them.

Oddly enough, they don't really have any redeeming benefit over standard rubber hoses, outside of aesthetics, which I don't care much about. The worse sealing ability is a dealkiller for me, as well.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/5-pros-and-cons-of-using-a-silicone-radiator-hose (YMMV on article accuracy)

Downside is there may not be a rubber equivalent kit for modern bikes, so we may be a captive audience. I will probably try the sub $100 ebay kit option when the time comes.

Rubber hoses don't last, and they deteriorate quickly. Especially next to the header. They get soft and then tear. I had a stick go right through one once. 

I typically get 100 hours on them, unless they are oem Honda, then they last for ever.

....but on the BETA, they are pretty mediocre from day one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krannie McKranface said:

unless they are oem Honda , then they last for ever.

Then i am basing my experience on this in the above context as my only watercooled DBs have been a '99 CR500 and an '07 450X. OE ones are still pliable and appear OK on those bikes. I might have to bite the bullet on the Beta hoses, or try the less expensive ebay kits.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Krannie McKranface said:

Rubber hoses don't last, and they deteriorate quickly. Especially next to the header. They get soft and then tear. I had a stick go right through one once. 

I typically get 100 hours on them, unless they are oem Honda , then they last for ever.

....but on the BETA , they are pretty mediocre from day one. 

Yep. My 01 CR Honda hoses are the original. Perfect condition.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, djl2014 said:

Chris loves the eBay hoses

Blanket statements covering any hose from China is sh*t, Conjecture 1A, class dismissed......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, randysoo said:

Thats the brand I bought for my 2014 Beta 450. Their reinforcement internally look robust, their "Y" areas feel very stout. I know there has been crap made in China prior, but like everything else, they get a clue in their first renditions, and change a lot in subsequent versions. 

BTW, that old picture of Chris's KTM hose, is really old and honestly would like to believe that todays stuff is much better, and that's without my rose colored glasses on.... :ride:

• Like 3

Here's my thought on cheap hoses: I rode some knarly trails this weekend. Trying to re-establish routes long forgotten. Single track that has reverted back to animal trails.
My buddy's KTM 450 was overheating the entire time. If his hoses would have failed his bike would still be there.
I imagine some of the Chinese gear has improved, but I can't afford a catastrophic failure.
Sure, maybe Chris's post is old, but I want to hear from more riders who have tested the eBay hoses in tough conditions before I'm convinced.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, djl2014 said:

Here's my thought on cheap hoses: I rode some knarly trails this weekend. Trying to re-establish routes long forgotten. Single track that has reverted back to animal trails.
My buddy's KTM 450 was overheating the entire time. If his hoses would have failed his bike would still be there.
I imagine some of the Chinese gear has improved, but I can't afford a catastrophic failure.
Sure, maybe Chris's post is old, but I want to hear from more riders who have tested the eBay hoses in tough conditions before I'm convinced.

All true words for sure :thumbsup:

I ride mostly on remote jeep trails/singletrack in the northern Sierra-Nevada mountains and the last thing I want is to explode a hose.

But like some here I've seen Samco hoses explode, seemingly for no reason, just a F-ed up hose. My OEM hoses were getting funky weird soft in places, so I'll be a guinea pig. I replaced my left radiator last week (weird pointy rock=1, Beta 450=0) rad guards bent nicely. finishing my spring maintenance now so I'll give these hoses a try. 

But talking pressures :rant:, my 2014 450RS came with a 1.8 cap, I installed a 2.0 last year when it puked once, but a surprise to me the new Mylers radiator came with a 1.6, interesting, I'll try it. Getting rid of that leaky POS thermostat will be great and has to help with cooling which could have been a problem for me for quite some time.

• Like 1

They cost $200 because people will pay it.  Look at the carbon fiber insert to replace the headlight in the shell for $100!  The Beta catalog looks more Ducati every day in content and price.  Enough is enough, its a dirt bike, just say NO and do something else.  Run Evans and there will be little to no stress on the hoses.  You can also get a high temp siilicone sleeve laminated with Nomex that will slip over a hose to protect it from external heat.  A few $$ from an industrial supplier.  A 2 stroke runs cold by comparison and the only reason to go silicone is to ditch the T stat and allow more room and less chaffing for the wiring in the frame.  Make sure you use the clamps with the rolled edges, silicone cuts easily. 

• Like 3