Restackor users, who wants to experiment?

I have a piston for a 50mm shock and need somebody knowledgeable in Restackor to do some playing.  Its actually a Bilstien shock piston but it looks like its pretty cool so I would be interested in seeing some numbers and opinions.

0408171348a.jpg

0408171348.jpg

The flow dynamics through that piston are terrible. I'd image with the positioning of the holes so far in from the edge the valve stacks wouldn't need many shims to make it stiff

Ill have to measure it up and see what shims fill the holes, should be 40mm shim at least but ill check.  Thats why I would like to put it in Restackor.  I have the program but never learned good on it.

Edited by pavetim

only takes a 38mm shim to cover the ports but really why would that even matter?  Sure I am not a fluid engineer but you would just use different stacks to get same results of piston that use 44mm shims, no?

think about how the shims have to operate, yes you could make the stacks the same stiffness but the 38mm shims will have a much shorter life due tot he fatigue they would be seeing. The larger shims flex easier so won't get as fatigued as quick.

With regards to fluid flow, check how the fluid has to go from the outside into the port then back to the outside, flow is terrible

Ok yeah i see what you mean. But that looks like the purpose of those cut outs. 

Edited by pavetim

On 4/9/2017 at 2:46 PM, pavetim said:

only takes a 38mm shim to cover the ports but really why would that even matter?  Sure I am not a fluid engineer but you would just use different stacks to get same results of piston that use 44mm shims, no?

I have a 46mm od Bilstein piston here (looks the same as yours), it uses 37 X .25mm face shims. They just cover the holes. Don't go much bigger as it will block the flow going the other way.

No real issues with fatigue, they are an automotive shock that lasts 100,000+ kms no worries. They also make offroader shocks too.

Looking at My piston, I think you could get a fairly nice flow with a bit of careful porting.

What body were you looking at putting it in? It has a steel ring so I wouldn't try to put it into an ally body unless you were planning on changing to a softer ring.

Edited by DEATH_INC.
more info.

I have a 2013 KX450F.  I just bought cause wanted to play around but i'm kind of happy how i have my shock setup now with the RT gold valve.  Was just wondering if anybody else wanted to fool around with this.  I know bilstein is a great company but they also dont make dirtbike stuff so it's a trade off.  I have steel and fiber friction rings too.