Help Needed, Water leak cr 250

Looking for any advice on water leaks on my 99' CR 250. Bought the bike and the motor seemed to run strong and didn't have any issues. Got a new pipe on her and cleaned and re-jetted the carb to see if I can keep the bike and fix her up to ride. Today on a little ride around the yard to prep for a real ride tomorrow, I found some water leaking from the oil check bolt and the bolt next to it on the right. I think its the side case gasket that is coming loose. Is this common on these bikes? The gasket looks a little worn there, should I replace that entire gasket? There is no way I can get that job done to ride tomorrow, am I SOL? I tried attaching a pic but its only a small drip at idle. 

water leak.jpeg

it shouldn't come loose or really wear out... you can band-aid it for tomorrow by going to your auto parts store and getting some Permatex water pump gasket maker in a small tube, won't take much....use a lil teflon tape on the drain bolt.

This is all if you are sure it is the gasket/bolts and not weep the hole. I can see the drain bolt has some leakage however. Did you see if all bolts are tight, etc.?

Edited by DEMI

25 minutes ago, DEMI said:

it shouldn't come loose or really wear out... you can band-aid it for tomorrow by going to your auto parts store and getting some Permatex water pump gasket maker in a small tube, won't take much....use a lil teflon tape on the drain bolt.

This is all if you are sure it is the gasket/bolts and not weep the hole. I can see the drain bolt has some leakage however. Did you see if all bolts are tight, etc.?

The bolts are tight, I confirmed its coming from that gasket between the right side cover and the case, the liquid is just flowing to those two bolts and dripping from there. Is there any issue if I use RTV to seal it today when I go to do the real fix and replace the gasket?

nope, will just take a bit of time to clean it is all. keep the paper gasket intact if possible, won't take all that much, go easy and uniform  and let it set up before putting coolant back in.

• Like 1

Alright, applied a little along that 5 inch stretch of the gasket, will test run her in the morning and if she doesn't leak I will try to ride. Any advice on what else I should replace while I'm in there when I do replace the gasket?  I assume clutch inspection and water pump inspection, but if there is any upgrade worth doing while I have it apart, please advise. Thanks!

if you are applying on the outside, make sure it coats the gasket.

I would go ahead and "rebuild the water pump with bearings/seals/gaskets/new drain bolt/washer

• Like 1

Well, the RTV did not fix the leak. I'm starting to wonder if I'm even searching in the right spot, any tips on locating the root of the leak? I have heard of blowing flour on the motor and where it sticks will show the root source of the leak, but I'm kind of lost on this one. 

that rots Tim! sorry man....  if the leak is at the gasket, rtv would work by pulling the cover and augmenting the existing gasket. Not too many places to look, gonna need new gaskets and rebuild kit, so pull the cover and give the area a good inspection. Only real way to look further. 

• Like 1

On April 9, 2017 at 2:30 PM, DEMI said:

that rots Tim! sorry man....  if the leak is at the gasket, rtv would work by pulling the cover and augmenting the existing gasket. Not too many places to look, gonna need new gaskets and rebuild kit, so pull the cover and give the area a good inspection. Only real way to look further. 

I see what you mean Demi, I just tried to apply a little silicone on the outside without pulling the case cover. Looks like I need to drain my oil and coolant, then pull that side case cover and inspect the parts to see what all I need to buy. I will post up what I find if I get a chance before Easter.  Thanks for the tips!

Okay guys, rtv did not work, so I'm pulling that right side cover off to replace the water pump gaskets and inspect for any other issues. I'm having a little trouble getting that cover off where the kickstart shaft is. I'm trying not to bend anything, but I'm kind of getting stuck. Any tips on how to break that part loos behind the kickstarted?  The rear brake reservoir is kind of in the way. The rest came loose pretty quick with a tap of a hammer and rubber mallet.  Any tips would be appreciated.

Try using a soft faced or rubber mallet and lightly tap around the case. When you're pulling the case off, hold the kickstart shaft in place so it wont fall out. Do not use a screwdriver to pry the case off!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duncdivedeep said:

Try using a soft faced or rubber mallet and lightly tap around the case. When you're pulling the case off, hold the kickstart shaft in place so it wont fall out. Do not use a screwdriver to pry the case off!

This is what I have been trying, I just can't get a mallet to that part of the case behind the kickstarter. Most pics and videos I have seen do not show people taking their swing arm off to do this job so I would like to avoid it if possible.  Luckily, the clutch looks to be in good shape. I have been trying to use a plastic putty knife to drive in open, but still no luck back behind that kickstarted. 

This is what I have been trying, I just can't get a mallet to that part of the case behind the kickstarter. Most pics and videos I have seen do not show people taking their swing arm off to do this job so I would like to avoid it if possible.  Luckily, the clutch looks to be in good shape. I have been trying to use a plastic putty knife to drive in open, but still no luck back behind that kickstarted. 

There are probably 2 metal dowels, 1 by the kickstarter and the other up by the water pump. They are probably corroded. Try some anti corrosion spray on those dowels. Hopefully this frees things up.
  • Like 1

Well, finally got that dang thing off, it was the dowel pin on that back hole that was giving me a little trouble, just had to push the front water pump side back in all the way, then shimmy it and get it off. So the water pump feels tight and I can't get any play on it.  Seems like I should just be able to replace all my gaskets and re-assemble, is there anything I'm missing? I know I need to scrape the old gaskets and replace those, but most kits I see have a bearing for the water pump, I'm not seeing a bearing on mine, am I missing something? (its a 99' CR 250)

I have the 99 also , some kits don't come with a bearing,  while it's apart Change both seals ( oil and water), and all gasket . Also check the water pump shaft for deep groves , this will also make new seals Leak. 

IMG_2527.PNG

Edited by CRJohnny
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, CRJohnny said:

I have the 99 also , some kits don't come with a bearing,  while it's apart Change both seals ( oil and water), and all gasket . Also check the water pump shaft for deep groves , this will also make new seals Leak. 

IMG_2527.PNG

Now I see the bearings and parts from that exploded view, is the impeller a reverse thread on the 99"? I left that inside the case cover when I took it off, can I just use a wrench on the other side and a socket for the center of the impeller? I think thats the last part of the job I didn't realize.

Confirmed that gear shaft has some decent grooves, ordered up a new one as well as the rebuild kit to replace the two seals and bearing. Hopefully that is all I need to get back riding.

20170417_193009.jpeg

On April 18, 2017 at 4:33 AM, CRJohnny said:

Kinda. Looks ok , don't throw away , keep as a spare 

CRJohny, this is my first CR so I wasn't familiar with the original condition of the water pump shaft. Are you saying that those groves on mine are stock? If so, I will return the one I ordered as it was $60!  I just don't want to go through the hassle of reassembly to tear down again. 

Compared the new versus used pump shaft, there was definitely some grooves so I did use the new one. Unfortunately the new bearing that came with my kit was terrible so I ended up using the prior bearing, replaced all the seals. Just need a little time to button her up and add new coolant.

• Like 1