Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×

WR style front wheel spacers for YZs (YZFX), save wheel bearings ?

The front wheels bearings went out on my YZ250FX this winter in about 6 rides.  The bearings were good last fall when I swapped on the studded tires.  I greased them too.

The YX450FX uses the exact same front wheel and spacer as the YZ250FX. 

I got way more time on the front wheel bearings on my WR450F.  In fact they never failed at all, in the same riding conditions.   The spacers on it had mud shields built in like the rear wheels on the YZFX do.

Anyone know of WR style spacers that would fit the YZFXs ?  All the WR axles, including the 2016 WR450F use 20mm axles and different hubs than the YZFXs.  YZs use the new 22mm front axle.

The front wheel bearings on my FX appear to be open, not sealed.  There is nothing covering the roller balls.  Is this normal FX practice or did the seals on my bearings get destroyed somehow ?

Any advice on replacement bearings ?  My spacers are chewed up.   Pivot works has spacers with a built in ORIng to seal between the spacer and the axle.  Is that worth getting over the non O Ringed spacers ?

On 2017-04-25 at 2:50 PM, MidlifeCrisisGuy said:

The front wheel bearings on my FX appear to be open, not sealed.  There is nothing covering the roller balls.  Is this normal FX practice or did the seals on my bearings get destroyed somehow ?

My 2015 FX has no seal on the bearing too, they come like that from factory.

I think they sealup the bearing on the 2016 or 2017.

I would like to put the WR seal too...but the 20mm vs 22 axles seem not a fit .

When i'll change the front wheel bearings, i'll buy sealed bearing and find SKF seals from my local bearing supply.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DOMINICWR450 said:

Wow, I thought it was just mine that had no seals.  How do they expect the bearings to last if there are no seals on the bearings themselves ?  As soon as anything gets in it makes its way to the bearing !

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

6 hours ago, DOMINICWR450 said:

I would like to put the WR seal too...but the 20mm vs 22 axles seem not a fit .

When i'll change the front wheel bearings, i'll buy sealed bearing and find SKF seals from my local bearing supply.

Have you the seals and bearings # ???

My 450FX don't have a sealed bearings on front/rear......

• Like 1

17 hours ago, patdesnoyers said:

Have you the seals and bearings # ???

Bonjour Pat,

I don't have the # yet, the bearings still in good shape but soon i need new ones , i'll try to find sealed bearings and good seals.

17 hours ago, patdesnoyers said:

My 450FX don't have a sealed bearings on front/rear......

I see you still like it big..........on cc's ;) 

I was sure my little 250FX has sealed rear bearings ?

22 hours ago, MidlifeCrisisGuy said:

How do they expect the bearings to last if there are no seals on the bearings themselves ? 

Perhaps erroneously, they expect you to maintain the wheel bearings.  The bearings have a completely adequate seal over the outside that runs on the wheel spacers.  Both the seal and the spacer are thus replaceable in the event they wear or become damaged, and the grease YOU pack over the bearing will protect and maintain them quite well.  It also helps if you don't blast the seals with a power washer at each opportunity, which blows water and dirt under the seal.  If you'd rather not have the ability to clean and repack the bearing, then replace them with sealed units after you destroy them.  My '06 (open bearings) never had a new set once during its life.

It's also a mistake to consider a wheel suspended on 2 or 3 ordinary deep groove ball bearings as "too loose" simply because you can feel some clearance.  A certain amount will be felt even with a brand new bearing.

YZFX front wheel:

Image.gif

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bkoz said:

If you are burning wheel bearings out quickly you don't know how to use a pressure washer.

I don't pressure wash, only garden hose.  Frequent stream crossings though.

I ride in winter.   I think that Ice builds up on the wheel and axle and is hard on the axle seals.  Some moisture gets by them and then into the bearing and it rusts.  A sealed bearing should solve this problem.

ignore

Edited by bkoz

Bizarre. My 13 yz450f has sealed bearings and external seals front and rear. 90 hours on original bearings and seals and ride in very wet conditions  (I pack space between the bearing and external seal with belray waterproof grease every wheel change). Open bearings belong in gearboxes, not wheel bearings on a dirt bike. 

Edit: I just remembered I made alloy front wheel spacers to combat wear 

Edited by Zackdocks
  • Like 1