I'm hoping to be in the market for a new bike soon after more than ten years without one. I'm interested in feedback on SX-F's vs. XC-F's from those that have ridden both.  If I split my time between moto and trails equally, what would be the better choice.  I'm a novice rider so I doubt the XC-F will hinder me much for moto, but will be a little more practical on longer trail riding.  Any input appreciated. 

• Like 1

I've owned both and prefer the xcf. Actually I pretty much turned the sx into a xcf with the exception of the linkage. I put on the big gas tank, kickstand, bark busters, fan etc.... I don't ride Moto tho. All I can tell you is the bikes are comparable to a degree. 

• Like 1

I would ask yourself some questions:
1) Do you plan on racing? If so what type of racing?
2) Do you like to jump?
3) Do you like to go fast and light your hair on fire?
4) Do you really split your time equally? 5) What do most of your friends ride, Moto or trail? Is it fast or slow trails?
6) What type of riding do you really really enjoy most?
7) Every a time where you might do any ADV (Dual sport) riding?
Any thought of having two bikes, one for track and one for trail?
I think it's getting harder and harder to have one bike "do it all". Consider one new and one used bike or two used bikes for the price of a single new one and set them up for the different disciplines. Suspension set ups are just markedly different.

• Like 1

On the 250/350, you get the 6spd which for most is a plus. Suspension wise the XCF line is 'slightly' softer...

Performance wise, they are virtually identical...

On the 450, it's a 5spd for both models...

Because you're a novice, the XCF is probably going to be a better overall package...  

I have an sx and do it all. I go five clicks softer front and rear for offroad and it works great. Go back for Moto. I run stock gearing and have no problem on knarly single-track. It does run high rpm on the street, but i mainly am on the road just to connect trails. It's fun to honk the horn on the mx track when you're​ sailing over a jump.IMG_20161113_123326057.jpg

• Like 2

When I bought my KTM I tried a 450SX-F but I liked the 450 XC-F better and that was the bike I went with. It feels great ton of power and I ride trails and MX with no problems 

• Like 1

I don't want to hijack this thread but I need some advice on the same thing

MX bikes don't suck that bad in the woods until you ride an actual woods or Enduro model and realize what you have been missing. Having the purpose built bike for specific style of riding makes it much more enjoyable.