1997 cr125 leaking coolant out of head after new head gasket

Replaced head gaskets on cr125 because it was blowing white smoke. It is still leaking thru the new head gasket right about of exhaust port. Any ideas of what could cause this. Warped cylinder and or head? 

Could be possibly but doubt it. What you torque it to? And next time you have it off see if dowel pins holding it up alitte. Put on without gasket see if sits flat 

Head might be warped how did you resurfaced the great with 400/600 grit figure 8 motion ?

Put the head on a piece of glass. If any sides are raised or sit higher than the the rest, take some wd40, spray it on some wet sanding 600-1000 grit same paper and do a figure 8 pattern to make it flat again. (Google dirt bike cylinder lapping. If sides are lifted.) there is however, a point where you cannot save it and would have to buy a new one.

I would also recommend do the same thing with the cylinder. My 02 cr125 started blowing white smoke (pushed it back 3 miles) and it turned out the cylinder warped!

I would also recommend you try copper gasket sealer on the gasket. If it blows with that on it, there is something very serious going on.

Just went thru this with my 97' cr125. After replacing the head gasket twice, took the head up to the machine shop to have it fixed, it indeed was warped a little. Put new head gasket in again, and it still leaked. Apearently the studs weren't all the way torqued in and the lips were sitting higher than the cylinder surface, so I was torquing the head down to the studs only and the gasket wasn't fully sealing. Don't know if you're already figured it out, but I thought I'd share anyway

16 hours ago, 97cr125number14 said:

Just went thru this with my 97' cr125. After replacing the head gasket twice, took the head up to the machine shop to have it fixed, it indeed was warped a little. Put new head gasket in again, and it still leaked. Apearently the studs weren't all the way torqued in and the lips were sitting higher than the cylinder surface, so I was torquing the head down to the studs only and the gasket wasn't fully sealing. Don't know if you're already figured it out, but I thought I'd share anyway

Actually just put the bike back togeather. I had 2 studs that where stripped I had to heli coil them. Skimed the head a little on my own. Got another head gasket and sprayed it with copper high temp gasket sealer. Runs good with no more leaks

• Like 1

Actually just put the bike back togeather. I had 2 studs that where stripped I had to heli coil them. Skimed the head a little on my own. Got another head gasket and sprayed it with copper high temp gasket sealer. Runs good with no more leaks

Good to hear! Now go make that bike sing!

Good to hear