Beginner questions need help

Ok so when I say begginner I mean to a 2 stroke. Never owned a 2 smoker bike. I'll be picking up a 2013 sx 250 in the morning. Just wondering on a few things. What ammount and what oil should I use in the trans ? (10w30 Or what ?) what mix is recommended and again what oil brands are better ? The bike I'm picking up has brand new brake pads but the front brake lever goes right to the bar. The brakes work, and the tire locks up when it reaches the bar But it's reaches the bar... Do I need to bleed the brakes or is there an adjustment ? And finally is there any differences in riding from a 4 stroke ? That's all I can think of for now 

Get a PDF manual, it has all the fluid requirements. KTMs are recommended at 40/60:1 On the break get the bike home and tie strap the break lever closed and leave overnight, should be good in the morning.

There should be a small black knob on the inside on the lever for adjusting.

34 minutes ago, markit said:

Get a PDF manual , it has all the fluid requirements. KTMs are recommended at 40/60:1 On the break get the bike home and tie strap the break lever closed and leave overnight, should be good in the morning.

There should be a small black knob on the inside on the lever for adjusting.

Ya   bleeding the brakes. No air came out and fluid is full.  Still not alot of brake power

22 hours ago, markit said:

Do as I said above, tie strap the lever overnight.

Hey just went out and check, brake lever still pulls in relatively easy compared to my other bike but the brake seems to be engaging alotbearlier in the pull. I'll have to really test it tonight info go for a little ride with it. Thanks

One of the biggest difference's you'll notice is the size your wallet after doing a top end.
You'll be singing "I just saved hundreds of dollars by switching to two strokes"[emoji23]
+1 on holding the lever over night, KTM's are notorious for trapping air in the brake line, especially if it's ever been upside down on the face of a hill.
Don't ask me how I know this[emoji848]

• Like 1

On 10/04/2017 at 5:14 PM, lhc450 said:

One of the biggest difference's you'll notice is the size your wallet after doing a top end.
You'll be singing "I just saved hundreds of dollars by switching to two strokes"emoji23.png
+1 on holding the lever over night, KTM's are notorious for trapping air in the brake line, especially if it's ever been upside down on the face of a hill.
Don't ask me how I know thisemoji848.png

Lol, only owned enduros and trail bikes so far so they were never hard on top ends... But ya the guy was saying it was costing his 180$ for a full wiseco top end kit, not sure how true that was but I still have to call and find out. And ya the lever to the bar seemed to work pretty good. Haven't had a chance to ride yet but I rolled it down the drive way and hit the brakes and it stopped me right away barely pulling in the brakes. 

On 10/04/2017 at 10:39 AM, Abro said:

The biggest difference I noticed when switching from a 4 stroke is that a 2 stroke has waaaaaayyy less engine breaking

it can get you into trouble the first couple of rides

Ya noticed that too and also was told that on a 2 stroke your not supposed to engine brake cause it'll lean it out. Big difference for me since on my other bikes rarely used the brakes and relied on engine braking

• 1 year later...
Ya noticed that too and also was told that on a 2 stroke your not supposed to engine brake cause it'll lean it out. Big difference for me since on my other bikes rarely used the brakes and relied on engine braking

Yep, when the throttle is closed, it’s not getting much gas. Which means it’s not getting much oil...no bueno.

As far as oil to run in the crankcase, manual suggests 15w50. It takes around .85 qt., or until it starts to come out of the oil check bolt hole, just to the rear of the power valve preload adjuster. I run Rotella 15w40 in mine.

As for premix oil, it depends on how you ride. If you ride the track/race and are on the pipe all the time, winding it out, you can get away with running an oil with a higher flash point. If you just trail ride and don't see mid and wide open throttle much, run an oil with a lower flash point.

I don't race, just trail ride. Manual says 60:1 ratio. I run Motul 710 for my premix oil. It's lower flash point than other oils burns more completely for the lower throttle settings for trail riding, preventing lots of spooge at the muffler, cleaner internals and prevents the power valve from getting gummy from all the unburned excess oil.

• Helpful 1