YZ250 - Gray engine oil... water?

Hey,

I just went to change the engine oil and it came out grey....Hmm... It's not the chocalate brown I've seen before. I did do two rides that had multiple water crossings. They were deep too! Bike certainly got wet up to the cylinder in some cases. Doesn't look like I've lost radiator fluid through..... 

So, could water have got sucked into the engine somehow? The power valve cover area looks to be moist so there could be a leak there that let in water. Or could there be a small water pump leak?? 

Searching for some ideas... Tomorrow I'll put in some fresh oil and run it for a few mins then flush it... then put more fresh oil and and see where I'm at. But let me know your thoughts where it could be coming from... its and 06 YZ250 motor. 

Only can be two reason sucked in water from somewhere or water pump seal bad or water pump impeller shaft.

YZs have an air gap (with weep hole) between the seal that keeps the oil in place, and the seal that keeps the coolant in place, so it is virtually impossible for water to get in the oil that way (although common on other bikes).  If either seal is bad, you will see something coming out the weep hole.  It's a very nice design.

My YZ was getting coolant in the oil via a faulty right side case gasket.  If it is coolant in the oil, that's where I would look.

However, when I have had coolant getting in the oil, it looked more "green" than silver.  If you have some of the oil left, put it in a jar and see if it separates.  "Silver" sounds more like material from the clutch.  

I think I would just put in some fresh motor oil (10w40--what ever is on sale), and ride the bike the bike for a normal ride.  Then drain and see what it looks like.  If it still looks bad, I would probably start with the right side cover.

I'm also wondering how long you let your oil changes go for it to be "chocolate brown"?  I usually change it at 12-15 hours on my bikes, and it still looks like motor oil, with silvery specks from clutch material.

Edited by rpt50
  • Like 2

I usually change the oil after 2-3 hrs of run time. But in this case it probably had 10-12. 

I think I'll do what you said and try running at with some fresh oil and drain it after 20 mins or so and see what it looks like. If it looks suspect I'll pull the right side case off and go from there. 

Thanks for the reply!

I have had it happen . Think it sucks it in through the hose on crankcase below carb on stator side. Change it ride it change it again. Happens when you ride through water.