2008 Steering bearing brand name?

Rockeymountain ATV has 2 brands in stock and 1 back order. Bearing Connection and All Balls are in stock and Pivot works are on back order. Reviews on the 2 in stock are good on the web site but that doesn't mean a lot.

Anyone have a recommendation on what to buy or what brand to avoid?

My top race and bearing are rusted and pitted and some scoring on the top aft section. Bearing itself has a slight dent or out of round.

Bottom was a little better as far as rust but the grease was dirty. Bearing feels gritty after cleaning it.

I'd go with All Balls.  We install quite a few of their bearings at work and don't have issues with them.  Also, they claim to be made in the USA, if that means anything for you.

• Like 1

Interesting.  Could be hit or miss I guess.  Some Chinese factories produce very good products, while most are sub-par.  This information definitely has me 2nd guessing their quality now.

And I agree, OE is always the route to go unless there part is no longer available, or factory part is prone to failure.

• Like 1

I have some ab's in a yz currently. No complaints.  Lots of years of putting them in from lots of sources has me thinking that steering head bearings are the most over engineered bearings on the rig.  If they fail early,  it is because of installation or lack of maintenance.  ( I like to put mine in by torquing them to 90 lbs, backing off,  then 3-5 lbs,  just enough to feel a slight drag.)  Well lubed with water resistant grease.  For one of the main reasons for grease is to keep water out.   In the case for OE, you know what you are getting already.   Sometimes at twice the price.  

ABEC ratings are not a rating of overall quality, only the size tolerances to which the bearings are manufactured.  The grade, hardness, and overall strength of the materials and the actual load capacity of the finished bearing are not a part of that specification.