'14 250l Chain Sizing

Hey everyone. I am looking into changing my gearing from 13-40 to 14-45. I need a new chain as well as I am adjusting into the red portion of the chain tension scale. My question is, is anyone running 14-45 That could tell me how many links I will need? Thanks hopefully someone has an answer. 

I'm running 13/45 and have my chain at 108 links. Stock is 106 links with the 14/40. At 13/48 I was at 110 links. 110 links MAY work with the 14/45.  Buy a quality (DiD vx2) chain, 120 links. Don't cut it to short!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006O85VHO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can get it with rivet, or master clip links. Order a few extra of the links also. A master clip link is the easiest to work with when you are trying to figure out chain length. Once you get the proper length you can install the rivet link.

So if I am thinking of this correctly if your running 13-45 on a 108 links and if I run 108 links at 14-45 my axle position would sit slighty more forward?

7 hours ago, MATCHBOX250L said:

So if I am thinking of this correctly if your running 13-45 on a 108 links and if I run 108 links at 14-45 my axle position would sit slighty more forward?

It may be to far forward with 108 links. Might hit the swingarm. Try 110 links first. Try to get it in the green or bairly in the silver. 

Ok sounds good. That's seems to be a standard length to order anyways. And perfect I was wondering where to tension the new chain to on the scale. One other thing. It seems everyone always ends up with even number of links for the length. Is there any problems if I say end up running 109? Thanks I appreciate the help.

Order the 120 link chain.

You can't go 109 links. Only even numbers. You'll understand once you start working on it. So either cut it to 108 or 110 for the 14/45. I would cut it at 110 links first and see how it fits. Make sure you get extra master links! Test it with a clip master, then when you get the perfect chain length use a rivet master.

What is the biggest rear sprocket you can use with a 13 tooth sprocket in the front and still use the stock chain?

1 minute ago, Dirtmax said:

What is the biggest rear sprocket you can use with a 13 tooth sprocket in the front and still use the stock chain?

I believe it was reported a 42 tooth rear would work with a stock chain. Either 14/42 or 13/42. I just skipped to the 45T and got a new chain. Tried 48t rear but it was a little to low geared for prolonged highway use. Went back to 13/45.

Check out www.gearingcommander.com

They have a utility that will show you how different sprocket selections will work with different chain lengths.

In this picture, I have set the "Current" & "Custom" configurations to 14/45 with 108 and 110 links.

Untitled.png

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:02 AM, MATCHBOX250L said:

I was wondering where to tension the new chain to on the scale.

Since you are changing the sprockets and chain, the existing scale is no longer relevant.  Based on the image I posted, your 110 link chain will cause the axle to sit back ~0.42" from the starting position of a stock setup.  A 108 link chain would cause it to start ~0.21" forward.

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:13 AM, MATCHBOX250L said:

So if I order a 110 link Chain It will fit ?

Yep. Or, you can order a chain with 120 links, but you will have to shorten it to 110 links.

Doug

I basically have the same question- what chain (link count) do I need to run both a 13/48 and 14/48 sprockets?

I am not sure how to read that chart on Gear Commander. I am okay with the wheel moving in the sliders, I just need to figure out how to do the math so I can swap between the front sprockets for best performance. 

Running the Gearingcommander calculator, I get 110 links for either.  The Stock is left stock, Current is 13/48 and Custom is 14/48.

Doug

13-48 chain sizing.png