Fork seal question

I noticed a little fork oil on both fork tubes after last ride. Not like it's running down the tube or such, just a thin amount with a dust line at the bottom of stroke. Trails were particularly bouncy, filled with occassional sharp whoop bumps that really worked the suspension.....and my old legs. I always wash bike thoroughly after each ride and keep fork tubes squeaky clean which I did then pushed suspension up and down  several times and don't see any oil at all. Do you think it's seal time or is this occasionally normal. I've got push button fork bleeds but never remember to use them.

I think you are asking if it's time to change your fork seals ?

If you see oil, that means oil is getting past the seal.....but that could just be debris stuck in there,  holding it open.

Remove the wiper, and slide some old 35mm film negative up under the seals and pull out any debris that might be in there.

If that doesn't do it, you need fork seals.  You should never see any oil on the tubes.

• Like 3

Now, there is another issue you should investigate, and that is damage to the chrome leg.

Run your fingernail or a razor blade up and down the surface to see if you can feel any damage to the surface.

If you feel anthing substantial, it could be tearing the seal, and needs to be sanded down with 600 grit wetdry sandpaper.

Thanks, I checked the chrome tubes, they look like new. Did the film thing but ordered the plastic gizmo cuz the film seemed a little weak although worked ok. Don't seem to be leaking at all. Oh also should mention, bike was uh...upside down for a few, not sure if that contributed.....hillclimb gone wrong ya know.

On 4/10/2017 at 4:23 PM, Summit said:

Thanks, I checked the chrome tubes, they look like new. Did the film thing but ordered the plastic gizmo cuz the film seemed a little weak although worked ok. Don't seem to be leaking at all. Oh also should mention, bike was uh...upside down for a few, not sure if that contributed.....hillclimb gone wrong ya know.

Upside down is no biggie.

The film should have done it.  If not the seal saver.  

If those don't do it then time for seals.  Those are not hard to change after the first time.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2017 at 2:23 PM, Summit said:

Upside down = normal circumstances

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Krannie McKranface said:

Upside down = normal circumstances

Especially true when doing my double backflips but the bike isn't inverted for very long.

• Like 1