Yet Another Chunk of Public Land Threatened

Looks like the government continues to take steps to make OHV use illegal on vast parcels of Utah land.  Another 9 million acres is now being considered for Wilderness status. From an American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) press release:

Help Keep 9 Million Acres Open For OHV Use
Contact your representative Today!
 Take Action

U.S. Rep. Alan Lowenthal (D-Calif.) introduced America's Red Rock Wilderness Act, H.R. 2044. This latest legislation, the first version of which was introduced in 1989, would designate as Wilderness 9.2 million acres in Utah, including Desolation and Labyrinth Canyons, the Dirty Devil River, Bitter Creek, White Canyon and the San Rafael Swell. This Wilderness designation would make the land off-limits to off-highway riders.

In the House, of the bill's 30 original cosponsors, not a single one represents an area that would be affected by the proposed Wilderness designation. Lowenthal, the House bill's sponsor, is from California.

The proposed area of new Wilderness designation is nearly twice the size of New Jersey.

We need your help to stop this bill because it does not conform to the original Congressional intent of a Wilderness designation "where the earth and its community of life are untrammeled by man, where man himself is a visitor who does not remain," and that "there shall be no temporary road, no use of motor vehicles, motorized equipment or motor boats, no landing of aircraft, no other form of mechanical transport, and no structure or installation within any such area."

A prewritten email is available for you to send to your representative by following the "Take Action" link.

We must remain vigilant on this legislation. If this misguided effort becomes law, the effect on the OHV community would be devastating for generations. Please contact your representative right away and urge them to oppose H.R. 2044.

Now more than ever, it is crucial that you and your riding friends become members of the AMA to help protect our riding freedoms. More members mean more clout against the opponents of motorcycling. That support will help fight for your rights - on the road, trail and racetrack and in the halls of government. If you are a motorcycle rider, join the AMA at www.americanmotorcyclist.com/membership/join.

• Like 2

The Swell and that area has been on SUWA's hit list for as long as I can remember.  Hopefully with Trump in office it can't happen, there is too much local opposition.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

The Swell and that area has been on SUWA's hit list for as long as I can remember.  Hopefully with Trump in office it can't happen, there is too much local opposition.

Unfortunately, these decisions are being made in Washington, DC and not here in the West, were they have the greatest impact. The pols and bureaucrats in Washington couldn't care less about the local consequences of making land out here unavailable for the use of all but a handful of the elite. At least that is  the way I see it.

7 minutes ago, mrgem said:

Unfortunately, these decisions are being made in Washington, DC and not here in the West, were they have the greatest impact. The pols and bureaucrats in Washington couldn't care less about the local consequences of making land out here unavailable for the use of all but a handful of the elite. At least that is  the way I see it.

I'm thinking the Bears Ears backlash may have an effect, at least I hope so.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2017 at 2:55 PM, cjjeepercreeper said:

I hear ya CJ!!!  The last go round the bill was sponsored by a congressman from New York. Eventually this sh!t will go through, but we must resist.

I'll be in the Swell this week getting a refresher on how important it is to keep this land open to OHVs.

Thanks Mr. Gem for posting this issue...i'd overlooked the AMA's email, but dug it up and followed their Take Action link from that email.

Here is that link for those who don't have it.

https://cqrcengage.com/amacycle/app/write-a-letter?7&engagementId=331573&ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxHxVgAv8OlzP8ZIm5nFYgJ2Z8c6WS8_SGZz7yk3wY3GpPg4JCMnRpENk392aUhHg2pLG_cvGRqz9siiGnxYvIpbXUaB4XB4EflvwLLuQ_BGQ&lp=0

• Like 1

And here is a link to the actual bill for those who wanna see for themselves.  Westwater is on there!!  In addition to lots of stuff near Moab, near Bluff, near Green River...pretty much all over!!  If you ride mtn bikes...this'll get your attention...PORCUPINE RIM is on the list!!!

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr2044/text

I posted this in an mtb forum and got flamed. Guys said they would gladly lose use of Moab if it kept out oil and gas development. Morons......

Yeah, hard to believe they think this has no impact on them. Eventually they will be the ones with targets on their backs. G

2 hours ago, 2012 450 xc-w said:

Yeah, hard to believe they think this has no impact on them. Eventually they will be the ones with targets on their backs. G

100% right!

Stunning that they'd give up Moab...so much so that I call BS!!!  I'd say that the majority of mtn bikers (me being one) would rather NOT lose everything around Moab.

In fact, we were just there and rode Porc Rim and some other new stuff on our mtn bikes and some other stuff on our dirt bikes. For mtn bikes, there is now Navajo Rocks, Mag 7 and I heard there was a new trail near Amasa Back.  There were lots of riders at the trail heads and bombing down Porc Rim.

I'd say the ones that responded were pretty arrogant.  Was that on mtbr.com or somewhere else?

I've almost deleted 303 trail monitor so many times. Too many whiners, and uninformed social justice warriors.