'99 XR600r - stuck floats?

Hey guys - new to the forum - have a question on my floats.  Replaced and cleaned the carb from sitting for a few months.  Cleaned all the jets, ports and needles. confirmed that fuel was getting to the carb, but there's no fuel in the bowl.  Tore it down again to check the float needle to ensure it was clean and moved properly - it was and does.  Also checked to ensure I didn't have any leaking floats that didn't float - it does.  What would cause the floats to hang up and not allow fuel to enter the bowl?

If I were you, I would hook up the carburetor to the fuel line, with the float bowl removed, and figure out what is and isn't working.  That's the easiest way to tell for sure what the problem is.

Take the plug out of the bottom of the bowl and turn the fuel on to see if anything comes out.

Thanks for all the input - I have checked the floats and they are installed correctly,  I have also removed the bowl and checked the fuel to the carburetor and all is correct.  the floats drop and allow fuel into the carb, but when I install the bowl the floats seam to get hung up and no fuel get into the bowl.  Don't know why....

The next thing you need to do is post a photo (in focus) of the float installed in the carburetor, leaning sideways to where it just starts to close the float needle.  Maybe we'll be able to help you figure it out.

• Like 2

Scott - yes, I have had the bike for some time now with it running not more than a couple of days ago.  It only started acting up when I replaced the broken jet holder.  It appears as though something is holding the floats in the "up" position (even when the bowl is empty) and as a result the needle is in the closed position.  I don't know what is holding it up though.  the floats move freely when the bowl is not in place and the bowl is installed correctly....

Alright so I was just snooping around when I saw this thread, I'm not a 600 guy or even a honda guy. I belong over on the Suzuki forum, so please forgive me if I look like an idiot here. Is it possible that you bent the metal tube in the bottom of the float bowl? I don't have a clue what carb this bike uses, but I've seen it happen on FCR carbs on a Suzuki. The picture is a float bowl off a FCR 40. That tube slides up in between the float and if it is bent (even slightly) it will bind up the float. IMG_0519.JPG

Have you RE checked the float level? 

If it was worked before fine than the tang sounds like it was bent. It only needs to move a tiny bit. I read nothing about setting float level. Maybe it worked before so you didnt. If the plunger is clean than this is it. Nothing else stops fuel from coming in aside from a clogged line which would take a good sized pebble.