Trans problems

I was riding a trail yesterday and i caught neutral by accident, then i was in a hurry of course and had kind of a "hard shift" into second. I heard a clink and now the bike wont stay in gear. I put it in 1st or 2nd and as soon as i take my foot off of the shifter it pops into neutral. If i hold the shifter up with steady pressure it stays in gear(thats how i got it out the woods. Any ideas on what im dealing with? 03 kdx 200 btw

Pull the clutch side engine cover.  The shifter mechanism is right under there. 

I haven't ever had one do that,  that didn't need a shift fork.  The mechanism that does the gear change work is easy to get at,  but before you buying gaskets you may want to by a gasket kit for the whole lower end.  I am guessing you have all the other gears since you don't say otherwise.  On if the bolt on that holds the "starfish" with all the pins that the shifting ratchet contacts is loose you can sometimes get a set of gears that is fussier than the others.  1 and 2 get the most abuse usually so maybe you are going to be lucky. 

Hopefully like turbo something in mechanism. If not you may have bent a shift fork. Make sure you inspect dogs on gears if its slamming in gear or slipping at all they will be worn. Goodluck:thumbsup: Here's a few old tranny parts from couple yz250's i had. Shows wear to look for hopefully not your problem tho keep fingers crossed.  Can get expensive with gears

20170410_112601.jpg

Edited by Motox367