yz250 Old MX Guy Needs Advice, Please !!

1970 Jawa CZ 250 and 1974 Yamaha yz250, were some of my favorite bikes I rode for years... A long time ago. I'm  looking to get back into it, in a much slower pace of coarse ! I think 2 stroke might be my choice... but I open to some good advice. The 2 stoke yz250 and the yz250x , not much difference ? What about the 3 other 4 strokes ? yz250f, yz250fx and thewr250f ?? No track, no competition and so on, just good old fun cause I'm just too old ! Thanks guys !!

• Like 1

if it has been a while, get the yz250fx...will be more than capable for what you want to do. Welcome back P.

• Like 3

Thanks Guys I appreciate your input. I'm gonna have to spend sometime (not a lot) and kick those tires... Is there much more maintenance to the 4 strokes ?

Edited by P Gabby
added.

Not really for routine maintenance, oil change/air filter. Once a top end is due, then the 250f is a little more with a timing chain, but many do it. A 250 2 stroke is awesome, but can be a handful at times, a 250f is a great all around bike. Maintenance is a draw more or less.

So now I'm really gonna date myself.                    Whats the definition of a Thumper ??              Yikes, I'm gonna have to dust off my Full bore boots, put my duck bill back on my helmet with my plastic mouth guard... LOL

Thank you ! You did see the years of my last bikes. Never owned a 4 stroke. But looking forward to doing some shopping.

• Like 1

Sounds like you haven't been on a modern 4 stroke.  It would be a good idea to get on one before your purchase. At your age (mine too) that nice predictable power band (and don't confuse predictable with slow) and planted feel is very nice. Agree with recommendation above, the YZ250FX should be on the short list.

Exactly how old are you? How fast were you in the day? Weight?

Edited by gatorfan
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, gatorfan said:

Sounds like you haven't been on a modern 4 stroke.  It would be a good idea to get on one before your purchase. At your age (mine too) that nice predictable power band (and don't confuse predictable with slow) and planted feel is very nice. Agree with recommendation above, the YZ250FX should be on the short list.

Exactly how old are you? How fast were you in the day? Weight?

The only 4 stroke I've rode was a (I think) a 1968 Honda CB160 I got a hold of as a kid. Stripped it down, did the carbs, tires and pipes. Dragged it to the sand pit and had my way with it. It was my 1st step up from mini bikes, haha. The Honda gave me the bug and then it was 2 strokes after that !! I did some time at the Bridgehamton track in NY, Long beach NY, I did OK, (loved every minute of it). NOW @ 60, 6' and 190 lbs,(I'm shrinking) The link is a YouTube of Bridgehamton ny, we looked like cave men in the day.

11702854_696700067140464_6934657834189388892_n.jpg

11698679_696700087140462_3045382076241826029_n.jpg

• Like 1

At 60, after a long layoff, you might like the convenience of a start button and kick stand. See if you can find a KTM or Yamaha demo and jump on the YZ250FX or KTM250XC-F (though keep in mind it's 1st yr. for air forks in KTM). Get an idea of the power.  I think you'll be impressed, and a bit safer vs. a modern 2t. Let us know what you decide.

You're not going to stay 60 either.

Edited by gatorfan
  • Like 1

Gabby,

I'll be 62 in October and I just bought a YZ250X. I don't race anymore and the kids moved out so I thought I would get a new toy. 

I love the YZX. It has great, smooth linear power, the suspension is spot on, and it's a really fun bike to ride. Oh, and it's an easy bike to start, except for two times (once when I dropped it) it starts first kick every time! And it's hasn't been a hard stab either, just a full kick and it fires right up. At 5'8" I struggle a little to touch the ground, but you only need to do that when stopping. 

I also ride a KTM 200EXC and really like it too. I just prefer the two strokes. 

Check out the X, I think you might like it.

• Like 1

Thanks guys ! Actually my body hasn't caught up to my age yet. Still playing with the road bike, snowmobile, four wheeler and after 20 some odd years fighting fires in NYC I still feel like a kid. My 4 boys have to keep up with me ! I love 2 strokes but I want to enjoy myself not kill myself... No more racing, just heading into the woods and trail system up here in NH. I welcome your advice and appreciate it !! I will definitely keep you all posted.

Edited by P Gabby
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, P Gabby said:

Thanks guys ! Actually my body hasn't caught up to my age yet. Still playing with the road bike, snowmobile, four wheeler and after 20 some odd years fighting fires in NYC I still feel like a kid. My 4 boys have to keep up with me ! I love 2 strokes but I want to enjoy myself not kill myself... No more racing, just heading into the woods and trail system up here in NH. I welcome your advice and appreciate it !! I will definitely keep you all posted.

Well if you are in good health, by all means give the 250X serious consideration. It's a serious bike, just controllable power.

Good luck in your search and keep us informed.

• Like 1

Greeting also from NH. Recently a good friend of mine (58 yo) decided to sell his old '77 maico 350 and get something modern to keep up with his son and I (I ride an XR600R, and his son rides a WR450). He rode a few different bikes and for the areas we ride, he bought his first 4 stroke. He bought a yz250f and loves it. It's light enough to throw around and is sure footed on the very quickly changing terrain of NH, sand, loose gravel, sheets of rock, deep mud, hard pack and exposed roots.

• Like 1