2017 450/500 kickstart conversion? Why does KTM have to change the models every 5 minutes?

I haven't followed KTM's since about 6 years ago. I am not finding any 450's, 500's or 530's for sale used so checked the new stuff at the dealership.

Aside from sticker shock I saw that the new models don't come stock with a kick-start. That was a big deal to me, to have that back with my 08 as I have had a battery die miles into the woods and push starting a high compression engine in sand is basically impossible.

Anyone tried doing a kick start conversion on a newer one? Why can't KTM just stick with one friggin' layout and stay with it for a few years?

• Like 1

Personally I carry an Anti Gravity micro jump pack and wired in their permanent jump port on the bike. I haven't needed it yet but it has charged my phone and Bluetooth headphones many times while out riding.

Also with a completely flat battery, a kick start won't do anything without fuel pressure from the pump.

4 minutes ago, madchild said:

Personally I carry an Anti Gravity micro jump pack and wired in their permanent jump port on the bike. I haven't needed it yet but it has charged my phone and Bluetooth headphones many times while out riding.

Also with a completely flat battery, a kick start won't do anything without fuel pressure from the pump.

I hadn't thought about that. I've never had an EFI dually before... good point. The new Lithium jumps are pretty amazing, good idea.

Man, maybe you should buy a DRZ as the price is just that much cheaper... Oh wait, no kickstarter so that's a no go.

How about a XR650L? Oh dam, again no kickstarter.

Maybe a 250L? Crap, that doesn't have a kickstarter either!

Does a KLR650 have a kickstarter?

Wait, I got it, a Beta! But maybe the price is a little to far out?

The removal of a kickstarter is nothing new, and neither is the price of a new KTM or any 'current' bike. The KTM is about as top of line as you can buy... Don't like it? Maybe you should take up chess, but then you might complain about the color... 

1 hour ago, Monk said:

Man, maybe you should buy a DRZ as the price is just that much cheaper... Oh wait, no kickstarter so that's a no go.

How about a XR650L? Oh dam, again no kickstarter.

Maybe a 250L? Crap, that doesn't have a kickstarter either!

Does a KLR650 have a kickstarter?

Wait, I got it, a Beta! But maybe the price is a little to far out?

The removal of a kickstarter is nothing new, and neither is the price of a new KTM or any 'current' bike. The KTM is about as top of line as you can buy... Don't like it? Maybe you should take up chess, but then you might complain about the color... 

Kickstarter worked great on the 2008. Think it was a nice addition. not sure what your beef is but let's not play "internet tough guys", it was a valid question, if you don't like it or think it's stupid, don't bother wasting time responding. (Lemme guess, you are very active on social media and get in long arguments there too; whatever makes you happy). I've met some great people in the dual sport community and have been riding for 20+ years, and then the odd, well... _other_... guess it's easy enough to just block someone. Don't need to step on the same turd twice.

Edited by kayakingsteve
  • Like 7

38 minutes ago, kayakingsteve said:

Kickstarter worked great on the 2008. Think it was a nice addition. not sure what your beef is but let's not play "internet tough guys", it was a valid question, if you don't like it or think it's stupid, don't bother wasting time responding. (Lemme guess, you are very active on social media and get in long arguments there too; whatever makes you happy). I've met some great people in the dual sport community and have been riding for 20+ years, and then the odd, well... _other_... guess it's easy enough to just block someone. Don't need to step on the same turd twice.

I'm sorry I don't appeal to your softer more sensitive side. There is no easy way to tell you what you already know. Yes, KTMs are expensive but when you want something of the latest and greatest of technology that you can ride to the track or trail, race it and ride it home, that's a EXC for you. The Royal we wanted this bike and KTM delivered,and for most, we'll happily pay the cost.. None of the bikes I've listed from any Japanese manufacturer is going to do that without heavy modification, a healthy diet and some serious money. The DRZ might be the closest thing but by the time you might have got there, a KTM might be cheaper in the long run...

As for KTM and model years, I don't understand the problem? As long as the bike gets better, KTM is leading other manufacturers into the future... The Beta probably wouldn't have been so good from the get go of they followed the Japanese model of updating a bike every 20yrs...

15 minutes ago, Monk said:

I'm sorry I don't appeal to your softer more sensitive side.

You aren't to mine either. If you have nothing to add, which was obvious by your posts, stay out of here.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ud_Luz said:

You aren't to mine either. If you have nothing to add, which was obvious by your posts, stay out of here.

I'm sure he's an entertaining guy in the pub or in person, but some of that stuff doesn't come across well on the internet. I probably should get a thicker skin too.

don't need the kickstarter, ive been riding the 300s since 2008, and only used kicker twice. the battery and starter quality is far better than what it was just 5 years ago . if you take care of your LiFe battery and don't spin your starter to death the e button will not fail you.

• Like 1

I'm glad KTM came out with a new layout. This new chassis is awesome.

Actually the lack of a kicker could be a problem if you battery has life but the starter fails.
Also the little bit of juice it takes to squirt a little fuel doesn't compare to the juice it takes to spin a big thumper.
Quit being such a dick monk
Hang in there Steve, if you are just looking for something to ride and don't intend on going pro (like monk)you'll find a decent older exc for a reasonable price

its not possible to add a kicker to the 17s. the part where a kick starter would go isn't even there. you know how previous year ktms that didn't have a kick start had a "blank" where the lever would go? the new ones don't even have that.

3 minutes ago, madchild said:

It's a 17 450 excf six days

it only can be added to the EXCs. which is only 4 bikes.

Which is what the OP is posting about unless KTM makes another 500?

what was said was "I am not finding any 450's, 500's or 530's for sale used so checked the new stuff at the dealership." Im assuming new stuff refered to all bikes. no where did he mention he was specifically talking about the 500.

what was said was "I am not finding any 450's, 500's or 530's for sale used so checked the new stuff at the dealership." Im assuming new stuff refered to all bikes. no where did he mention he was specifically talking about the 500.

Topic of the thread is "2017 450/500...."

To me that specifically asks questions about the current '17 450/500's, and I corrected your answer to his post.