2016 EXC 500 POWER LOSS

I have an Exc 500 with 400 miles on it. The bike ran flawless until one morning I started it and it stalled. It was hard to restart however I was able to get going. It ran like crap so I figured it was fuel issues. Rode all day with it spitting and sputtering and a total loss of 5th and 6th gear power. I changed the inline filter with no improvement. Took it to the dealer and they had it for a week and said I just needed to run a tank of gas with injector cleaner. Did that with no improvement so I replaced the injector. Still no change. Took it back in to the dealer and after a week they can't find anything wrong ...The bike had a block off kit and a tip on it..Ran fine for 300 miles.

I have since replaced all the stock parts on it...still no change

Any ideas ?????

my guess fuel pump or broken ring, did they do a leak down check, if that was good back to fuel pump. or its not firing correctly, source coil, bad onnection ect

I would not use that dealer, find another.

Edited by Spud786

Just rode it and it seems like it gets too hot .. doesn't sputter any longer just a total loss of power and when you turn it off the exhaust makes that crackling sound...

• Like 1

Like spud said, check your fuel pressure.  It's not unusual for the filter inside the tank to crack, which causes a drop in fuel pressure and related running problems.  Change the spark plug because it's easy.  Then check the valve clearance and do a leak down test.  Does it idle ok?  

I replaced the plug, no change, the old one look fine as well however I know looks don't mean anything.. Idles great also runs good if your not getting on it, 3/4 to full throttle it slows down. I'll pull the fuel pump from the tank and see If it's cracked or something. Also I'll check the valves or have a dealer do it... It's definitely running hot, not so hot that it pukes water however I never remember the muffler making a clicking sound when cooling off....

1 hour ago, Buckskin57 said:

I . I'll pull the fuel pump from the tank and see If it's cracked or something. Also I'll check the valves or have a dealer do it... It's definitely running hot , not so hot that it pukes water however I never remember the muffler making a clicking sound when cooling off...

Just turn the fuel pump on and see if you have bubbling or swirling in the tank, should be very stable fuel once pump is on.

if the issue is only above half throttle and works fine below, then Id say it is some kind of fueling issue as a guess.  you get no fi light ?

Check the fuel pump fist.  Then either ask your dealer or get a tps tool and make sure your tps is working ok.  Watch the meter as you slowly open the throttle.  The numbers should rise smoothly all the way to full throttle. Any jumps or if it stops rising then your tps might be bad.  

4 hours ago, Buckskin57 said:

.... Idles great also runs good if your not getting on it, 3/4 to full throttle it slows down.....

If it idles, and you can easily get it started, it should NOT be a broken ring.  Ask me how I know...   :mad:

It's pretty easy to do a leakdown test, though, if the fuel pump doesn't fix the issue...

Edited by cadman_ks
  • Like 1

Yea,  usually a good idle and easy starting reasonably rule out compression issues.  I agree it sounds like it's starving for fuel,  the big question is why.  Or it could also be ignition,  the symptoms can be very similar.  Just one more thing to check, but you can start checking the pick up coil, stator, etc.. or even swap ecu of you have a buddy with a compatible bike.  

• Like 1

no errors at all...  does the fuel pump turn on when you turn the key to on?

yes as long as the kill switch is on too.  I wouldn't pull the pump without seeing a lot of bubbles or swirling, but you should hear it wind up strongly and stop at full pressure.  Then just look into the tank.

• Like 1

lots of bubbles and fan type of noise for a few seconds !  I called the servicing dealer to bitch them out and now they will cal KTM for assistance...

Edited by Buckskin57
  • Like 1

lots of bubbles and fan type of noise for a few seconds !  I called the servicing dealer to bitch them out and now they will cal KTM for assistance...

how does it look once the pump is up to full pressure, that's when it stops whining?  should only whine for about 2 seconds

No,fuel pump seems OK.

I have contacted another KTM dealer and they guarantee that this can be fixed. The dealer that I was going to had me replace the emmissions block off and exhaust tip and put it all back to stock. Said they don't suggest I use them however the parts dept sold me them... Total BS.

The new dealer asked me to set the bike up the way I wanted and they'll get it running right so tonight I do just that and tomorrow it's off to a new dealer..

It sucks that I already have $300.00 invested, parts that the last dealer tried.....  

38 minutes ago, Buckskin57 said:

It sucks that I already have $300.00 invested, parts that the last dealer tried.....  

How far out of warranty are you???

the bike was a year old on Dec 27th.... So Far I've purchased a fuel injector and a spark plug plus two service calls. 

Both parts were recommended by the service dept..