pleasehelp 2011 Kawasaki KX250F Issues

Hi,

I am not sure what to do about an issue I'm having with my 2011 KX 250F any suggestions thanks

Checked the oil level it was good, started it with the high idle on, started on 3rd kick, shut high idle off 30 sec later, let it idle normally for 3 min. Drove down road about 500 ft, never reached high RPMs yet, it squealed and skidded to a stop, left it for 2 min (trying to figure out what to do)  pushed down the Kickstarter slowly seemed normal plenty of compression, kicked it over and wouldn't start unless I gave it some gas, let it run for 30 sec and cycled through all the gears no issues, I drove it back to my shop and let off the throttle and it died. Tried to start it the next day it will fire but won't run, checked the camshaft clearance is good (it was replaced about 6 months ago, after a similar issue of the bike skidding to a stop) what else should I check before taking it to the shop, thanks

if it were seized I wouldn't be able to push the kick starter down?? 

Yes you would.  it is seized when hot.  breaks free when it cools off.  It might even run, but not very well and not for very long - 'til it gets hot again.

Take it apart, down to the piston.  Pull the head and cylinder off.  In 40 minutes you will know what you have.

Edited by FaceDeAce

if that is the issue, is there something I could have done wrong that would have caused it?

The first step would be to figure out what you have and where the problem is.  Then can try to figure out the cause.  

If it is a tight or seizing piston ... these bikes can overheat fairly quickly.  They are not made to idle for long and not for slow riding either.  There is cooling only when there is wind in your face, airflow through the coolers.  Best practice is when the bike isn't moving/riding, shut it off.  Other than about a minute at the start to get the oil circulating, idling is a bad thing.

• Like 1

I bought this bike and it was set up for trail riding with a higher flow coolant pump ( I mostly trail ride no track) about 4 months ago I had an issue with the camshaft exhaust valve it had rotated out of time that was a $700 repair, I have only had the bike for about 9 months, so in your opinion do you think I will continue to have these issues if I continue to ride this bike this way (not reaching high rpms, idleing along trails) ?

Opinions are cheap, everyone has one - so there will probably be contradictory comments coming.  If you ask ... mho is you may need to think about the type of riding and terrain that you do.  Often people mistake the differences between a trail bike and an mx bike as being the suspension etc. So and MX must be better.  What they miss is that there are big differences in engine, cooling system, transmission gearing, and clutching between the models.  You can get a trail bike that has full blown race suspension, if that is what is needed, such as the CRF250X.  However you can never really properly convert an MX bike to a trail bike - no matter what the salesman or seller tells you.

All that said, many people do successfully use the MX for trail/recreation. I would guess tho that there are just as many with these types of problems as there are successes and the differences is the rider and terrain.  (open spaces and back roads with wind in their face (good for mx) or slow trails through the bush (bad for mx) )

Not wanting to talk you out of or skew your opinion of the KX250F.  It is a GREAT bike ... for its intended purpose and use.  My suggestion is to just really think about the type of riding and conditions you want to use it in, then maybe rethink if it is the right bike for what you need it to do.

I hope that helps!

Edited by FaceDeAce
  • Like 2

I really appreciate your help I will have to take a look at the piston and thanks for changing my opinion on Kawasaki I now understand it has a lot to do with the type of terrain and how I ride the bike I thought I had very expressive piece of garbage

And I will have to take these things into consideration as I now plan to buy a new bike more suited for my type of riding

• Like 1

I pulled it apart took me about 4 hr (first time) and there is no damage to the piston or cylinder, im going to replace the piston because it burns oil but any other ideas of what happened??? Thanks