AXP Skid Plate Installation Problem...

Hey guys,

I have a new 2017 KTM 250XC-W. I'm in the process of installing my AXP skid plate. To do so I need to remove the two bolts at the front of the lower frame (close to the header) to thread the 2 supplied AXP bolts into to hold it in place at the front.

For the LIFE OF ME, I cannot get those bolts out?? I've stripped the hell out of them, and now have to grind a notch into one of the bolts to get a Phillips head into, which when using an impact drill snapped both of my Phillip bits .

How in the world did you guys get those two bolts out?!?!?!?! Do they have red loctite on them or something? If so, apparently the only way to get is off is with a torch??? Comeon lol

IMG_5529.thumb.JPG.2e9f85f7b9a4a31ccf1a4980d7f9e3bb.JPGIMG_5525.thumb.JPG.de943c0cde11b636e59170f83916e566.JPG

I have the AXP skid plate for a 2017 XC 300 and didn't have to remove the bolts that you are trying to remove.

I'm guessing the skid plate for an XC-W is going to mount the same. I would think the only difference would be is that it wouldn't have the linkage guard.

Are you sure you need to remove the bolts?

Mine has three points of securing it to the bike.

The highest point is right next to the exhaust flange and does bolt through an existing hole.

Second point is near where you are trying to remove the bolt, but at that location you don't bolt directly to the frame. You use a supplied bracket and sandwich the frame between the bracket and skid plate.

The third point hooks it self on the frame near the lower shock mount.

• Like 1

I'm positive. I can send a photo of the instructions later today. The instructions are for the 2017 exc and xcw 250's (and 300's I think).

Forgot all about those little b*tches.

I used a small sharp chisel and chipped away the paint around where the bold is sealed to the frame. Once the paint bead was broken, they came right out.

• Like 1

Forgot all about those little b*tches.
I used a small sharp chisel and chipped away the paint around where the bold is sealed to the frame. Once the paint bead was broken, they came right out.

Is that what is is?! It's almost like it's powder coated to the frame or something lol

That's weird because mine came right out to attach my ktm skid plate. I've removed it several times to clean underneath it too with no issues.

10 minutes ago, Southernend said:

That's weird because mine came right out to attach my ktm skid plate. I've removed it several times to clean underneath it too with no issues.

That's funny lol. Mine seems to be welded in place haha

Iguess they're the same bolts, they're 8mm bokts that thread into frame. 

Edited by Southernend
Wrong letter

On the 2017 XC-W they're 4mm allen. Nice and paint welded to the frame, plus the hole was filled with paint.

Edited by NVarra
  • Like 1

They must be different bolts than what I'm thinking of. My plate bolts onto 2 8mm bolts on my 17 xcw 

Interesting. I wonder if they did a manufacturing revision? On my bike there's only one the two holes and they were just like quikcolin's. 4mm allen painted in place. I said a few choice words getting them out too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NVarra said:

On the 2017 XC-W they're 4mm allen. Nice and paint welded to the frame, plus the hole was filled with paint.

Mine were torx... I'm going to take a razor blade and work all around each bolt and free them up a little bit

1 minute ago, quikcolin said:

Mine were torx... I'm going to take a razor blade and work all around each bolt and free them up a little bit

LOL. You know.. They may have been torx but they were so filled with paint I couldn't tell. I know for certain that a 4mm allen key and some old man anger removed them. LOL.

• Like 1

LOL. You know.. They may have been torx but they were so filled with paint I couldn't tell. I know for certain that a 4mm allen key and some old man anger removed them. LOL.

LOL I'm going to get my swear jar ready!! AGAIN! Going to tackle this one again tonight. Quick question... is there a washer there as well? Or is the raised part beneath the bolt head just a lip on the frame? I guess I'm trying to figure out if I cut around the bottom of the bolt head or the "washer" looking thing

No washer. The raised part is a lip on the frame.

Also, make sure you use a washer between the frame/skid plate and don't over tighten. It's easy to start to compress the plastic if you're not careful. Darn tough once they're mounted up.

I'm going to go see if I can find those bolts this afternoon. They went flying across our parking lot in a bit of a rage, but I'm sure they're 4mm allen because I scraped the paint out with a fine tip flat head screw driver.

• Like 2

Smack them with a brass drift. Impact will loosen them.... mine came out with ease.

• Like 1

Smack them with a brass drift. Impact will loosen them.... mine came out with ease.

What's a brass drift?

IMG_2578.thumb.PNG.fa7d336bb0dee95d1b31a25da0ca2e90.PNG

Drift...punch..

What does that do? Sorry I'm not the most "tool inclined". I just cut all around the bolt head with a box cutter and sprayed WD40 to try and help it along and it still won't budge??? If I try anymore I'm going to round off the notch I cut into it and then I'm in trouble. Not sure what to do.

You use the drift and a hammer to hit the bolt. Impact will loosen it up. It's brass so you don't mess up anything.