Sand Dune Worthy?

Hey y'all, 

I am new to the site here and have looked through the threads trying to find something that captures this topic, but haven't had any real luck.

I have had my CRF250L for about a year now and i want to experience more with it. I hardly ride on the street anymore besides taking it from the garage to the dirt and little grocery runs less than 10 Miles round trip. I spend most of my time riding dirt and trails, but recently i went to the Oregon Sand Lake dunes with some friends and they had an extra bike they let me borrow (DRZ400). It was a blast in the sand, and got me thinking... 

What would i need to do to the CRF250L to make it equiped to ride in the sand. I understand that power is the most critical part and keeping your RPM's up, so obviously an aftermarket exhaust and header and fuel programmer with airbox mods. I am not sure what to run on the sprockets? The other part that has me a little concerned is the weight, which in the grand scheme of things is still going to be there. I am not really thinking about modifying the suspension because at that point it would be easier to just upgrade to a different bike, which isn't in the budget. i am not sure if after all these modification if it would be enough to run a paddle tire and keep up with the buds. 

What are all your thoughts on this subject?

• Like 1

Other than the power mods and gearing, you also need to consider suspension upgrades. Pat has Hyper Pro decals on the forks, and a remote resevoir shock with a purple spring, probably Hyper Pro shock too. 

Glad to help. Don't be afraid to ask him questions. He is willing to help. 

Besides the Big Dog full exhaust & EJK FI programmer, he says, 

"Hi Doug, I would upgrade your air filter with DNA and remove the snorkel. Also make sure you have 13 - 42 ration. Also I woud upgrade the clutch with Barnett Spring and also plates. Finnaly, one of the secret is to ride with 130 MotoZ Tractionator. I have tried many tire and sizes, Those are the best for sand. 
Hope it helps"

I have also contemplated throwing a paddle tire on the L,,,, I remember Power, Traction and weight are the main concerns

1 get a paddle tire that will fit, maybe a low profile is needed (Daryl Smith sand tires will make one)

2 any excess weight should be removed or a lighter unit installed, (muffler, header, tail light etc,,)

3 Power,,,, any way you can get it,,, lower gearing 13/42, ejk and pipe,, cams and or bigbore,

I think if a stock drz will moto the dunes,, then why not the crf250L

I bought a quad so I wont waste time putting a paddle on my L

I wonder if he's tried a paddle tire. He told me "Finally, one of the secret is to ride with 130 (130/90-18) MotoZ Tractionator (Desert H/T). I have tried many tire and sizes, Those are the best for sand."

Hey y'all, 

I am new to the site here and have looked through the threads trying to find something that captures this topic, but haven't had any real luck.

I have had my CRF250L for about a year now and i want to experience more with it. I hardly ride on the street anymore besides taking it from the garage to the dirt and little grocery runs less than 10 Miles round trip. I spend most of my time riding dirt and trails, but recently i went to the Oregon Sand Lake dunes with some friends and they had an extra bike they let me borrow (DRZ400). It was a blast in the sand, and got me thinking... 

What would i need to do to the CRF250L to make it equiped to ride in the sand. I understand that power is the most critical part and keeping your RPM's up, so obviously an aftermarket exhaust and header and fuel programmer with airbox mods. I am not sure what to run on the sprockets? The other part that has me a little concerned is the weight, which in the grand scheme of things is still going to be there. I am not really thinking about modifying the suspension because at that point it would be easier to just upgrade to a different bike, which isn't in the budget. i am not sure if after all these modification if it would be enough to run a paddle tire and keep up with the buds. 

What are all your thoughts on this subject?

Buy a cheap 2 stroke 250 for sand. Or do whatever you want to your 4T. I grew up in Florence and my experience is that your bike won't ever be happy or fun on sand. Good luck.

• Like 4

The first video told the story perfectly,,,,,  LRP is awesome in sand,,  going down hill!!!!  

Edited by jbsurf
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, HeavyRotation said:

Hahaha, yeah, Tractionator lol. Good luck at Winchester Bay.

Kinda what I was thinking. :)

Seems an unlikely choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeavyRotation said:

my experience is that your bike won't ever be happy or fun on sand.

That's what I was thinking.  Looks like it will traverse sand dunes well enough, but fast?  Based on the videos, looks like it will get your from point to point, but you won't be doing any jumping or high-speed shenanigans on a 250L.

My experience in the Tuareg Rallye recently was that the standard bike without power mods just didn't have enough power in the dunes. I'm 90 kg (198 lbs) and I changed the sprockets, air filter (K&N) and suspension (Hyperpro) but left the engine and exhaust system as stock. Even on the small dunes I was often down in 1st gear as the engine just bogged down in 2nd, particularly in soft sand. I was running Dunlop Geomax Enduro tyres rather than paddles as the rules stipulated only road-legal tyres allowed. Other than that the bike was amazing, so I guess if you can gain a bit of power, or if you're a bit lighter than me then you might be okay in flatish sand but I still doubt you'd be able to ride over big or steep dunes.

• Like 3