What are RM85L forks, just a lie?? How to identify them?

Okay, so, i am meal piecing a 2003 RM85L together.  I have heard you need RM85L forks to run the 19" tire.  From looking on ebay and all over, there are some serious conflicting comments.  One says you need the RML forks, another said there were 2 lines on the forks, one for regular 85 and and one for 85L.  No one challenged that in the forum and gave advice.  A lot of people saying you need specific 85L forks and no one is challenging that either.

What gives?

There is only one fork model for both the 85 & 85L. At the top of the forks there are two lines/grooves machined around the diameter of the tubes. One line is where the clamp lines-up for the 17" wheel & the other line is where the clamp lines-up for the 19" wheel.  Of course those are factory recommended settings and there is a lot of adjustment room for the 17" wheel, but if you try to pull the forks upward in the clamps with the 19" wheel the tire will hit the fender on hard compression.

Hope this clears it up for you???

• Like 1

I understand that, but, I am wondering why I have read so many time that you "You have to have RM85L forks for 19" tires".  Then we have what your saying.

Those two contradictions needed to be cleared up on my end.  If thats all there is to it (your version) , then that makes things a heck of a lot easier!!

Thanks

Edited by sikpupy