crf 250R clutch drag

Hi, I own crf 250r 2010 that has one problem - clutch drag... Clutch lever operation is quite easy, but when I engage gear during engine idle it often stalls. Clutch basket is without notches, plates  new, cable free play ok. I changed from 10w-30 genuine honda oil in gear side to ATF - seems to be better, especially when bike is not warm enough. But clutch is still dragging too much when engine is warm. I cannot start my bike when in gear, only in neutral. When bike is idling, its very hard to find neutral, it is only possible when I pull clutch lever to max pull, also I often cannot make up shift with clutch pulled, only when I pull clutch lever to max pull to contact handlebar grip. By the way, 2 friends of mine have exact the same problems on their crf 250r-s 2011-2012 years. Any ideas guys? I don"t know what to do, please help.

Edited by Andriy

Your steel clutch plates may be warped. If you only changed friction plates, you may want to install new steel plates just to make sure this isn't your issue. I had your symptoms before after too many practice starts in rapid succession, and new steel plates cured the problem.

Good luck!

Hi, steel plates were also replaced,and are just new,  it"s something else, I tried today to push a new crf 450x 2017 forward with gear engaged and clutch pulled to handlebar grip and the bike was moving hard, as my crf 250r. I also tried to push crf 250l and kawasaki klx250 with clutch pulled and gear engaged and they were moving almost without clutch drag, and they were not hot, about 20 grad celsius. Specification for this clutch says 50,86mm for new springs, 49,96mm is service limit, 2,92-3,08 plate thickness, 2,85 service limit, I"ll measure springs and plates and write back.

Edited by Andriy

I have new Yamaha wr250f 2016 with major clutch drag. Had this problem since I took it home from dealer. Can't push bike in gear with clutch lever pulled all the way to handlebar, can't start in gear, and once started flames out if I put into first gear. Have to give it throttle in order to get it into gear. Dealer has inspected and replaced just about everything, no dice. Oh yeah, I can drive my bike with the clutch lever pulled in. And if I try starting it in gear, the bike takes off. 

Edited by Sunshin
Didn't finish

Hi, I checked plate thickness and it is about 3mm, so it is in specification range, but I found steel spring plate that was incorrectly installed, it was faced to the bike and must be faced outwards, I put it correctly and clutch seems to operate correctly, I"ll write back after test drive.

• Like 1

Hi, so with Mopar ATF+4 oil on the gear side and Magura Hymec kit 2100005(newly installed)  I can push my crf 250r(forgot to mention, it"s Italian HM) in gear with clutch lever  pulled 1/2-2/3 the way to handlebar. But I still want clutch to disengage a bit earlier, about 1/3-1/2 of lever move, so I will flatten clutch lifter on the gear side to get more travel at the same clutch lever movement, as it is on crf 450R for example.

lever.jpg

lever1.jpg

Edited by Andriy