NoToil filter for 02-06 model fitment issue

I recently decided to move away from the OEM filters and petroleum based oils and the harsh chemicals they require to clean. I bought a No Toil filter due to its supposed ease of use. However, I'm definitely concerned about the fit using the stock filter cage. As you can see, it doesn't fit square at all. Visually, it seems like it fits the airbox very nicely at the top, but on the sides, which is unfortunately impossible to see, it does't feel like its fitting at all. I can push my finger between the filter and airbox base until I hit the lip of the base. Anyone else have this issue with No Toil filters on their older CRFs? I feel like an idiot, but I can't get the darn thing to fit like the OEM filter to save my life. With that said, the lip of the base did push into the filter pretty deep everywhere but the top right. Maybe its fine to run like this?

And yea, I know I need to clean my airbox. I haven't rode at all with the filter. The grime it picked up was from me fighting to get it installed correctly.

filter.thumb.jpg.6195f00e8f9ecc8df87587fde38bae0d.jpg

17 hours ago, tripleup05 said:

I recently decided to move away from the OEM filters and petroleum based oils and the harsh chemicals they require to clean. I bought a No Toil filter due to its supposed ease of use. However, I'm definitely concerned about the fit using the stock filter cage. As you can see, it doesn't fit square at all. Visually, it seems like it fits the airbox very nicely at the top, but on the sides, which is unfortunately impossible to see, it does't feel like its fitting at all. I can push my finger between the filter and airbox base until I hit the lip of the base. Anyone else have this issue with No Toil filters on their older CRFs? I feel like an idiot, but I can't get the darn thing to fit like the OEM filter to save my life. With that said, the lip of the base did push into the filter pretty deep everywhere but the top right. Maybe its fine to run like this?

And yea, I know I need to clean my airbox. I haven't rode at all with the filter. The grime it picked up was from me fighting to get it installed correctly.

filter.thumb.jpg.6195f00e8f9ecc8df87587fde38bae0d.jpg

What year?  If 02, those boxes are crap.  Put an 03 box on it.  Honda went back to the flat steel filter base of previous years/models and the boot seals much better since it's a double lip design.  The crappy flush (full pun!) mounting set up resulted in internal screw nubs and poor filter to base connection.

If not an 02, run a Twin Air.  I've never had a problem with them.

Edited by HRC27
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, HRC27 said:

What year?  If 02, those boxes are crap.  Put an 03 box on it.  Honda went back to the flat steel filter base of previous years/models and the boot seals much better since it's a double lip design.  The crappy flush (full pun!) mounting set up resulted in internal screw nubs and poor filter to base connection.

If not an 02, run a Twin Air.  I've never had a problem with them.

It's an 05. I didn't realize they were different in 02.

I've heard Twin Air filters are great, but ive heard that about NoToil as well. I think I'll just get another OEM and start using No Toil on it after washing out the Maxima FFT or whatever unholy concoction Honda oils their filters with.

Edited by tripleup05
  • Like 1

I bought two of the No toil filters for my 06. The fit was poor and after using no toil oil and grease on the filter it fell apart on the first wash. I'm not sure if it was just a bad batch or what. I Love the no toil products and continue to use the oil and cleaner but I went to a Twin Air and it is a way better - thicker better seams and holds up way better. I'm not bashing No-toil but with something as important as a filter I would't run it.