Trail ridden 450 sx-f factory edition

So here I sit, pondering did I make a bad decision. Making the switch from a Yamaha raptor 700 to dirt bikes. I was in a local shop and a buyer backed out on a new 17 Factory edition 450....dealer threw a number at me. I couldn't pass it up! I drank the orange cool-aid and walked out the door with a new KTM. Figured I'm a fat guy at 250lbs so a 450 was a must. Now I've had time to absorb the knee jerk purchase and think maybe a 450 is too much bike for a novice two wheel rider (lifetime rider, racer, woods quad rider) and basically the Porsche of MX racing to boot. So now, do I tame the beast, just learn to ride a 450, buy a different bike...I ride trails and dunes, no real interest in racing but maybe I'll visit the track since I now have the bike. Any pointers from people who ride 450s on trails? Ideas? Input? 

If the bike is clean and in good condition, I imagine you could get decent trade value on it. A 350xcf or even a 250/300xc will be a very forgiving option compared to the 450sxf. I mention the XC(F) line because they are more dedicated to offroad and trail riding and can handle days at the track when need be.  

Forcing yourself to go to the track 'because' you bought a 450 could result in a injury you might not enjoy... 

Edited by Monk

That bike is very forgiving and easy to ride. Put it on the soft map and you'll love it.

Gear it down to a 13/50 for trails, a rekluse would make your life easier in any slow sections but they are $$$. You may have been better off with a XC-f but it's not hard to covert yours into mostly XC version. Plus you'll still have the factory look.

Bike is brand new, so not wanting to trade it back and lose money. I'll just keep throwing money at it until it's trail worthy! Looking at a rekluse radius x system now. Or should I go full month o the core exp 3.0? And going to gear it down as well to ease the trail riding. I was doubting my purchase a bit, then I go look at that sexy factory Red Bull and orange beauty and all doubts fly out the window while  twisting throttle. 

ride it!

if you want to make it more trail oriented, get the bigger xc tank, gear it down, and ride it on map 1.

the sx-f (FE), and xc-f is basically the same bike. mapping is a little different, and xc-f has more “trail” equipment on it.

I had a ’16 xc-f, just bought a ’17 FC450. I didn’t need the kickstand, bigger tank, and 18” rear wheel for the extra $1k. I had a brand-new set of wheels and bought the fx tank for $200. 

I ride 75% trail/single-track, 25% moto.

I wouldn't gear it down.The last thing you need is a MORE responsive 450. I have a 16 450sxf that I use on my GP tracks. I put in the core Rekluse to make it FAR more controllable ( a must buy for an all around bike), and a full FMF system ( a great buy I couldn't refuse,but didn't need.) Besides using it  setup and scouting on my tracks, I use it for plonking and out in the Oregon desert. On the rare occasion, I race it in GP's.

I weigh 235, so I had to respring both ends, but I think it is the perfect do all bike. The recluse let's you lug it for control, rarely flames out, and has the boost when you want it. With good throttle control, it works fine for me in the more open woods. I would take it to the trails in northern Idaho with no fear. And that is 8hr days going 20 miles, switchback hell, type of riding.

So get the airfork pressure down to suit you, respring and/or revalve the shock and ride. I added a twisted engineering composite tall handlebar, a seat concepts tall seat, and lowered pegs to fit me. I'm 6'3'  and haven't rode a bike I like better.

As a track owner, I try to schmooze customers to let me try any latest, greatest bikes. I rode the new 450 Honda cr, owner had put stiffer springs at both ends and  electric start. Felt like my KTM with plusher initial suspension action, but a hit in the fork midstroke.

And 12-15 lbs heavier.

Hey Scoot, at 235 pounds what rear spring rate did you go with? Also, what kind of lowered pegs did you use? I'm 6'2 and around that weight, looking to swap the spring and get some lowered pegs just cant find any I like so far. 

You can ride that bike in the knarliest of terrain. You don't need major changes. Adjust suspension and map for conditios. I use mine for mx, single-track and dual sport. It'll get 40 mpg on an mostly offroad dual sport rides. All with stock gearing. The clutch works so good, I'm not changing a thing.

Put in some more seat time. Getting a bit more comfortable on single track with two wheels. So used to my quads that it's gonna take some time I think but getting a bit smoother with every ride. Clutch work and slow speed stuff is where I have issues. Don't ever seem to touch third gear for long and haven't even been able to get into fourth. LoL

Do I need to respring both front and rear? I'm 250lbs right now. Working on loosing the gut. But honestly I feel like the bike sags just right for trail riding. Or maybe I just don't know what right feels like on a bike?

Edited by Tacobox
Spelling

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:31 PM, Shmug said:

Hey Scoot, at 235 pounds what rear spring rate did you go with? Also, what kind of lowered pegs did you use? I'm 6'2 and around that weight, looking to swap the spring and get some lowered pegs just cant find any I like so far. 

I've got a 5.6 spring on the back. I was using 5.0-5.6 progressives on the 4cs. Now I am using 4.7's on cone valves up front. The 5.6 worked on the revalved stock shock and the revalved Ohlins. Very cushy ride.

I am using the new aluminum fastways. Only thing I don't like is that there is more of a tendancy to wheelie because they cause me to want to sit back a bit more.

Gonna try and get out to ride this weekend. With spring turkey season almost over and it being Easter with the family I have other priorities though. 

Got out and did some trails, single track, and old logging roads. Took me a little bit. But the more I ride the more comfortable I'm getting. Had the chance to take a buddies 2017 six days exc-f 450 for a spin. I feel the exc-f would of been a much better bike for the type of riding I will be doing. Bit of buyers remorse on the sx-f when it comes to trail riding but once I take it to the sand dunes I feel it will make up for it. 

IMG_0242.JPG

Edited by Tacobox
Words

ride my 16 450sx-f yesterday for the third time since i bought it in November of last year and at first i was frowning becuase of how much of a monster it was. after a few hours and some laps went by i started liking it more and more, I made the right decision but it takes time getting use to a 450, even more so if it's your first like mine. so much power it was crazy. 

Yeah, this is my first dirt bike ever. I love the bike in general, but is the simple case of walking into a bar and seeing the hot blonde in the corner, you know she's trouble and not exactly right for you, but you take her home anyways! That's what happened when I laid eyes on the sx-f factory edition.

But I won't ever hit a track, so buying the sxf was not all that smart of a decision for my particular type of riding. Riding only trails and single track the excf is more purpose built. But that being said, it's not like the sxf can't be trail ridden, just that I'll have to work at it a bit more due the fact that's it a purpose built mx race bike.  

Now ive got to work at turning the hot blonde into something I can take home to momma and prove she's a long term commitment. Or I just dump her on the corner and go get a different one. LoL

Edited by Tacobox
Edit
  • Like 1

Hey man, long time enduro and racer of two wheels. A 450 racer isn't an ideal bike to learn on, it has allot of rotating mass and it will feel heavy and restrict your learning abilities. I'd get a 250 2 stroke and rip that. It'll be way better and just as much power.

I understand a 450 race machine wasn't exactly the best choice for two wheels. But as a Yfz450 quad and raptor 700 rider who raced woods and desert I think I'm fine with it. Sure it will probably come with its own inherent down sides but I only own one bike at a time and to be honest my fat ass on a 250 didn't sound too appealing.  Dealing with the weight of the bike isn't an issue. 

Well an interesting scenario presented itself today. Was at the shop looking at some new gear and a guy came in looking for a 450 factory edition. The owner pointed at me and said I bought the last one. He's asked if I would be interested in trading for a 2017 Husqvarna FE450 that's not even been ridden yet. Basically my bike plus $1500 on my end.

what do you guys think? I know the new Husqvarna are basically a KTM. And the new FE is also almost identical to the ktm six days edition. Only downside is coughing up the extra $1500.