Vibration

Ok I only have 3800 miles on the bike but notice when I first start it up cold I hear a vibration coming from somewhere around the front of the motor. It's only there for a few seconds and then gone. It's only when you first start it cold.  If it's warm or has been running you can't hear it.  I've been looking for something loose but can't find anything. Ant ideas?

Well, heat expands metal. So that tells me somethings wearing. When its cold its amaller and rattles. Basically you need either educated ears to listen. Or open up the motor and start measuring ish. Use a stethoscope to help you hone in. And when you think youve found "around" where, measure everything there. Everything has a measurement. 

See theres hundreds if pieces bolted together. Any ONE thing loose can vibrate. Any ONE thing .001" too small can make a noise. 

Its literally impossible for any of us to zone in. This is why youll pay an hour just to find the problem. Which is nothing. Compared to the repair. Or compared to diagnosis on say a Dodgs Sprinter Diesel.

2017-04-10-04-50-17-2072899566.jpeg

There is a valve in the oil system on the XR650L (600r too?) that when cold the right side emits a loud WHIIIRRRRRRR that sounds like a metal baseball card in a bicycle's spokes, or like a kickstarter held down after engine start.

• Like 1

There is a valve in the oil system on the XR650L (600r too?) that when cold the right side emits a loud WHIIIRRRRRRR that sounds like a metal baseball card in a bicycle's spokes, or like a kickstarter held down after engine start.

What I'm hearing is just a slight vibration for 2 to 5 seconds then gone. Like a loose bolt or something but can't find anything loose. I have not ever ran if out of oil and it starts right up and runs fine. I always worry when you hear a vibration. Crank or cam pop into mind.

Can you tap on various areas/surfaces with a rubber mallet, while listening with the naked ear, or using a mechanic's stethoscope?

(I got one from HF for like $3.)

Can you tap on various areas/surfaces with a rubber mallet, while listening with the naked ear, or using a mechanic's stethoscope?
(I got one from HF for like $3.)

I've tapped on the motor and felt around but the sound goes away fairly quickly. I've checked bolts and can't seem to find the vibration.

6 hours ago, XR650L_Dave said:

Dave... I just got off work ran out to the garage and started my bike. Your right it's on the right side and makes the sound you describe but it's not very loud yet and goes away.  What do I need to do for repair?

1 minute ago, XR650L_Dave said:

It's a normal noise on some of the XRL's.

Mine stopped doing it after some number of years.

Thanks Dave!!!