Kid needs a new bike

My 11 yr old is riding a kx 65.  He is growing really damn fast.  Here's the problem he can't ride the 65 to its limits.  What would be a good next bike?   There is no way he's ready for a 2 stoke 80.  Would the CRF 150 f being a decent bridge bike?

thanks

I bought a crf150f at age 12...The bike was a good size however I am now 13 and ride a rm250...I outgrew it and the bike to me and many others that rode it, was underpowered...What I am trying to say is if you get the 150f your son may be asking you for another bike soon after that one because he may become bored of it...Depending on your sons skill level the best choice might just be a 85cc two stroke...Or if you want smoother and more controllable power get the 150r...I guarantee you he won't become bored of the 2 bikes...

3 hours ago, skiwithnoskis said:

My 11 yr old is riding a kx 65.  He is growing really damn fast.  Here's the problem he can't ride the 65 to its limits.  What would be a good next bike?   There is no way he's ready for a 2 stoke 80.  Would the CRF 150 f being a decent bridge bike?

thanks

Nope! The 150F is just a trail bike. The suspension will beat the crap out of him, trust me on this one. They are sprung for "middle weight" riders and unforgiving on lightweights. Keep him on the 65 a bit longer or bump him up to an 85/150R. The 85s are a really big step up and will last for quite a while. You can always keep the 85 near stock (performance wise) and gear it down to keep it a bit slower until he gets used to the size and power. You also have the option to keep the 65 and have him ride both bikes for a  while.

Big wheel versions of 85 MX bikes,  and teach him not to pin it all the time? 

A 17/14 wheel size pit bike might not be a bad choice either. Most will have a fairly tame 125 4t engine, and if he becomes profient enough for more power before he out grows it, engine swaps (for bigger pit bike engines) on pit bikes are relatively cheap, and very quick and easy to do.

Not a problem teaching him not to pin it all the time he's still scared of the 65.  He's just getting too tall for it and a bit heavy

thanks

how tall is your kid?  What weight?  If he is scared of the 65 two stroke you are wise not to move up to 85 or 100 cc two stroke or the CRF150R/RB.

What type of riding is he doing?  MX track racing?  Trails & Offroad?  combination?

1 hour ago, SilvFx said:

how tall is your kid?  What weight?  If he is scared of the 65 two stroke you are wise not to move up to 85 or 100 cc two stroke or the CRF150R/RB.

What type of riding is he doing?  MX track racing?  Trails & Offroad?  combination?

57" 115#. He races a local harescramble series and trail rides.    No mx if I can help it lol.

The kx85 and the suzuki have power valves and are pretty user friendly.  I think the suzuki would fit him better as sitting on the big wheel version compared to a kx100 was better for me.  He may find the engine to be more friendly to him too.   The 150 f is a great bike for someone who is looking for a soft power band,  but heavy and limited as any kind of racer.  But MAN can you do "Stoppies" with it!!

On 4/12/2017 at 1:49 PM, skiwithnoskis said:

57" 115#. He races a local harescramble series and trail rides.    No mx if I can help it lol.

Definitely very limited options at his size, the type of intended riding, and some concerns about being scared on 65 two stroke.  Pretty much have either the 85/100 mx bikes or the CRF150R/RB 4 stroke MX bike.  The alternatives are the low power, not great suspension air cooled 4 stroke trail bikes such as KLX140, TTR-125, DRZ-125, CRF 80F/100F/125F.  I have seen some people taking the KLX140 and replacing front forks with KX85/KX100 front forks, reworking rear shock and doing some performance upgrades on air cooled motor (big bore, exhaust, carb work).  But you get into a lot of money quickly going one-off.

I wouldnt move him up to something he is scared of.  My youngest stopped riding after I moved him from CRF80F to YZ85.  Was a good rider but it scared him, had a couple good crashes and never rode offroad again.  Wish I had just moved him up to his sisters CRF100F instead.

• Like 1