2000 DR-Z400S - Radiators smoking once bike warms up

Hey all,

So I just picked up my new DRZ a few weeks ago, and I've been working on it quite a bit since then (thorough carb cleaning, valve check, etc). So after I got everything put back together and started the bike, everything ran fine and it started up immediately until it started to warm up...

Once the bike started warming up, smoke began to come out of the radiators. It looked as if the smoke was coming from all over the radiator too, not just from the cap or any particular hose.

So after this happened I tried doing some research on TT, but didn't have any luck.

BTW...the bike will only electric start when it's 100% cold now too. I can bump start it though if it's warm. I'm not sure if that's related to the radiator issue or not...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Owen

• Like 1

Could be as simple as some oil and/or coolant was spilled on it while being replaced and just needs to burn off.  Has it been a reoccurring problem? Both sides or 1 specifically?

Edited by RingwoodRaceway

Well I figured this was the most likely problem, because I managed to spill a good amount of coolant on the radiators, but I didn't want to just run the bike while it was smoking just in case it could be a bigger issue.
And yes, it smokes a little on the left side too, but I managed to spill some on that side as well when I was taking the sensor out of the top of the radiator.

I did try washing off the radiators some, but that didn't seem to help

I had a similar problem when I bought mine a few months ago. It would smoke once it warmed up and I could see coolant sitting in the fins or whatever those are called. Figured there was a leak so I paid a radiator shop $50 to fix it. The told me there was no leak but still charged me $50:banghead: came to find out on my own that the cap was leaking, I guess the spring had gotten weak or something so I got a new one at a local auto parts shop for a couple bucks and the problem disappeared

• Like 1

I had a similar problem when I bought mine a few months ago. It would smoke once it warmed up and I could see coolant sitting in the fins or whatever those are called. Figured there was a leak so I paid a radiator shop $50 to fix it. The told me there was no leak but still charged me $50:banghead: came to find out on my own that the cap was leaking, I guess the spring had gotten weak or something so I got a new one at a local auto parts shop for a couple bucks and the problem disappeared

So you didn't buy the OEM cap? I'll look into getting a new one then. Hopefully that's the only issue.

That doesn't solve the problem of the bike not starting when hot though, but I guess that's an entirely different problem.

58 minutes ago, Munasaur said:

So you didn't buy the OEM cap? I'll look into getting a new one then. Hopefully that's the only issue.

That doesn't solve the problem of the bike not starting when hot though, but I guess that's an entirely different problem.

Yeah I took my stock cap in to a couple different auto shops and finally found a place that had just a basic coolant cap the same size as mine. It's rated for a higher pressure too so that's a plus. Just take in your cap and ask if they have anything the same size

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bm1997 said:

Yeah I took my stock cap in to a couple different auto shops and finally found a place that had just a basic coolant cap the same size as mine. It's rated for a higher pressure too so that's a plus. Just take in your cap and ask if they have anything the same size

Well I checked with a few auto stores today and didn't have any luck, so I think I'll just buy an aftermarket one cheap online. I'll let you know if that fixes the issue. Thanks for the help.