2 rear wheels, How many chains should I get?

Let me just preface this by saying that the answer seems clear right?  Just have a chain for each rear wheel and each sprocket but here is my dilemma:

I have 2 rear wheels one set up for dunes riding w/ paddle that I will use at little sahara and the other for using w/ dirt tire for all other riding.  Since I am swapping tires so often is it ok to just use one chain and use the different sprockets on one chain (was considering using a DID erv3 520)?  Or is there an easier way to do tire changes without having to bust open a chain every time I want to swap my rear wheel?  I have looked through forums and can't seem to find any info on what people do when they have say a supermoto and want to throw a dirt tire on.  I guess there is always just the option of throwing new rubber on the same wheel but that is my least favorite job, or maybe I just need the right tools and that is what I should do each time instead of toying with 2 wheels, 2 chains, 2 sprockets etc.

My goal is to have whatever would be the easiest and quickest way to swap between 2 tires.  Also would taking off the entire swingarm allow me to take the chain out without taking it apart? would that even be worth the time during a tire swap?

My bike is a 2015 yz450f if that makes any difference and both sprockets are steel.

Any input would be much appreciated since I am still learning

Thanks!

The easiest way to do this would be to swap the sprocket to the wheel you are using. This keeps you from having to break the chain every time you swap wheels. Then you only have to change the chain when you replace the sprockets, as usual.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Natethegreat888 said:

Let me just preface this by saying that the answer seems clear right?  Just have a chain for each rear wheel and each sprocket but here is my dilemma:

I have 2 rear wheels one set up for dunes riding w/ paddle that I will use at little sahara and the other for using w/ dirt tire for all other riding.  Since I am swapping tires so often is it ok to just use one chain and use the different sprockets on one chain (was considering using a DID erv3 520)?  Or is there an easier way to do tire changes without having to bust open a chain every time I want to swap my rear wheel?  I have looked through forums and can't seem to find any info on what people do when they have say a supermoto and want to throw a dirt tire on.  I guess there is always just the option of throwing new rubber on the same wheel but that is my least favorite job, or maybe I just need the right tools and that is what I should do each time instead of toying with 2 wheels, 2 chains, 2 sprockets etc.

My goal is to have whatever would be the easiest and quickest way to swap between 2 tires.  Also would taking off the entire swingarm allow me to take the chain out without taking it apart? would that even be worth the time during a tire swap?

My bike is a 2015 yz450f if that makes any difference and both sprockets are steel.

Any input would be much appreciated since I am still learning

Thanks!

Assuming one chain works for the gearing in both situations I would stick with one chain, do a quick wheel swap and be done with it. High labor efficiency, slightly lower wear efficiency.

What's your time worth? Would you rather &%$#@! around or ride?

• Like 1

I do this all the time and never swap chains. As long as all the items are in good shape it doesn't seem to increase wear significantly. You can usually have a 3 tooth range of gearing with the same chain.

Ya I think I will just swap the sprocket off each wheel and keep the mated sprocket with the chain.  That does seem like the easiest way and it didn't even cross my mind to do it that way!

Why swap sprockets? Cant you have a full wheel set up so all you have to swap is the wheel? Thatd be the easiest...

1 minute ago, cooldudesmd said:

Why swap sprockets? Cant you have a full wheel set up so all you have to swap is the wheel? Thatd be the easiest...

He is worried about the chain/sprocket wear.....only reason to even worry about the wheel swap at all.

2 hours ago, Wild Alaskan said:

just use the same size sprocket on both wheels and keep all the sprockets and rotors relatively fresh. simple as that, no adjusting, breaking, abnormal wear. You are way overthinking this

I rotate 3 wheel sets between 2 bikes. Never seen anything wear funny.  

• Like 1