What to do about son?

I have a question for the dads out there. My son is 15yrs old he is big (6ft 2in 185-190lbs) for 15 but he is still my baby boy he is just a big one. Lol He started out on a yz85 and then moved up to a yz125 then hit his growth spert. The yz125 couldn't handle his size and was breaking constantly. I got tired of buying parts and bought him a KTM 250sx. He loved the KTM, his two cousins both 15 also have 250 4 strokes and he liked his 250sx better. But he had a bad wreck on his 250sx that knocked him out and ended up in a ambulance ride to the hospital. He was lucky and just had a slight concussion but he was out for awhile and didn't remember a thing. So now his KTM 250sx that he loved before he's a little scared of and he wants a new 250 4 stroke. So what should I do? Get him off the bike he's scared of and buy him a new one or make him tough it out? I know some may say tough it out but the dad in me says buy him a different bike that he is not scared of. The difference between a 250 2 stroke and a 250 4 stroke is about 10-12 horse power which is a lot when your talking 41-52,53 horses. He started racing motocross this year and even though he can't wait till the next race I don't like the idea of him being out there on a bike that he is scared of even though I know he could get hurt on the 4 stroke just the same.

• Like 1

Put him on a 350. That might be better for a kid his size. I weigh about 185-190 lbs and my old 250 4 stroke struggled with my weight a lot like a 125 2 stroke would. 

• Like 1

I have a question for the dads out there. My son is 15yrs old he is big (6ft 2in 185-190lbs) for 15 but he is still my baby boy he is just a big one. Lol He started out on a yz85 and then moved up to a yz125 then hit his growth spert. The yz125 couldn't handle his size and was breaking constantly. I got tired of buying parts and bought him a KTM 250sx. He loved the KTM, his two cousins both 15 also have 250 4 strokes and he liked his 250sx better. But he had a bad wreck on his 250sx that knocked him out and ended up in a ambulance ride to the hospital. He was lucky and just had a slight concussion but he was out for awhile and didn't remember a thing. So now his KTM 250sx that he loved before he's a little scared of and he wants a new 250 4 stroke. So what should I do? Get him off the bike he's scared of and buy him a new one or make him tough it out? I know some may say tough it out but the dad in me says buy him a different bike that he is not scared of. The difference between a 250 2 stroke and a 250 4 stroke is about 10-12 horse power which is a lot when your talking 41-52,53 horses. He started racing motocross this year and even though he can't wait till the next race I don't like the idea of him being out there on a bike that he is scared of even though I know he could get hurt on the 4 stroke just the same.

How's he scared if he can't remember? Prolly you're scared and he's picking it up. Transference. Tell him we're all scared, its healthy to be afraid of killing yourself. He should ride the one he's got so he doesn't learn to quit when faced with existential adversity. Just my 2c.
  • Like 7

I weigh around 185 lbs and my brothers 250xcf carries me around no problem at all, same with a friend of mines 250sxf.  Maybe you can do a trade for a 4t on a buy and sell and when he's ready he can go back to a 2t or a bigger cc 4t.  I don't think you can go wrong either way.

No matter the hp, 4 strokes are just easier to ride. At 185 a 250f will pull him just fine.
As i guy who surfs the used bike market, the 250 2 strokes hold their value way more than the 250fs. Should be able to trade for a year or two newer with no problem.
Always good to try something different if you can afford it.

He might not remember nothing about the wreck but he remembers waking up laying in the sand! Everybody telling him not to move, the ambulance ride and the hospital. I'm not trying to push him of a 2 stroke I don't believe their is anything good about a 4 stroke bike. A 2 stroke is lighter, more powerful, easier to work on, cheaper to work on, it's just better in every way I my opinion. A 4 stroke bike is the last thing I want, it's his idea not mine. He has 2 cousins that are 15 also that both race motocross too and both of them have 250 4 strokes (kx250f and rm250f) their is only 2 months difference in all 3 of them.  He can get on their bikes and ride the hell out of them but when he gets back on his he's pretty timid. He just started racing motocross this year and he is racing a beginner class and I tell him all the time that his 250 will run off and leave all them 250 4 strokes from start to finish if he will crack that throttle open.

20 minutes ago, SonsRexspensive said:

He might not remember nothing about the wreck but he remembers waking up laying in the sand! Everybody telling him not to move, the ambulance ride and the hospital. I'm not trying to push him of a 2 stroke I don't believe their is anything good about a 4 stroke bike. A 2 stroke is lighter, more powerful, easier to work on, cheaper to work on, it's just better in every way I my opinion. A 4 stroke bike is the last thing I want, it's his idea not mine. He has 2 cousins that are 15 also that both race motocross too and both of them have 250 4 strokes (kx250f and rm250f) their is only 2 months difference in all 3 of them.  He can get on their bikes and ride the hell out of them but when he gets back on his he's pretty timid. He just started racing motocross this year and he is racing a beginner class and I tell him all the time that his 250 will run off and leave all them 250 4 strokes from start to finish if he will crack that throttle open.

I'm mostly an off-road rider where a 250 two-stroke kicks the shit out out of a 250F, but moto is a different story.  I don't have the balls to hold my YZ250 wide open through stadium style whoops, but a 250F doesn't scare me.  I didn't like my CRF 250 off-road, but it was fun on a MX track.  I didn't have to worry about it trying to kill me like my YZ 250 would.  

I think learning to overcome any irrational fear should be the first thing to work on rather than just switching bike. Not saying that the 250f might not be a better choice, just that if he has previous experience on 2 stroke, he should be able to ride the 250 2t.

I do understand the fear that he has. Not a dirtbike, but I had a bad crash on my road bicycle on a high speed descent last year. Didn't get hurt too bad other than my shoulder and losing a bunch of skin...but have been fighting to regain my confidence ever sense. 

• Like 2

Everyone has a different feel that makes them comfortable and no rider will go fast on a bike he has reservations about. Quit playing psychologist and get him a 4stk.

8 hours ago, Wild Alaskan said:

double base gasket and a flywheel weight and you pretty much have a 250f

Do this to tame the hit, then make him get back on the horse. 

You can have a serious accident on any bike from 50cc to 1500cc from riding over your head, which is most likely the root cause of the crash.

I agree that he is on the young side for riding a 250 2t, but he has the right body size. He needs to realize that it's the loose but behind the bars that needs to be adjusted, don't let him blame the bike for his mistakes.

Another thing to consider is that a 250f 4t rides more like a 125 2t than a 250 2t, in that to race it, you need to push it hard all the time, yes it's more linear in its power delivery, but in most track conditions it still wants the rider to keep it pinned. That kind of riding is hard on equipment and leads to rider errors (because the machine wants to ridden at 10 tenths all the time).

I've had a few wrecks that ended up in the ER luckily nothing serious but all the same I understand being a little timid getting back into riding. Being scared of your bike is no good but I don't think you should switch bikes yet. Are you going to buy him a new bike every time he wrecks? It wasn't the bikes fault he wrecked.

I would go 250F if he is getting serious about Moto but not until he get over his fear of his current bike.

11 hours ago, robbie 4 stroke said:

Put him on a 350. That might be better for a kid his size. I weigh about 185-190 lbs and my old 250 4 stroke struggled with my weight a lot like a 125 2 stroke would. 

I wouldn't worry too much about the power of a 250 4t.  I'm 205 lbs. and my 250/277 is just fine for everything I do, I mostly keep up with the 450s no problem.  Of course I'm over 60 years old, too.;)

I have 3 kids who ride - I quit buying bikes for them. I buy me a new bike and they get the hand-me-down. 

24 minutes ago, Still Bill said:

Change to milder PV spring and add flywheel weight?

There you go. Also turn in the pv valve to tame the hit, run a gear higher, ect...

He is not afraid to get back on it really he just says it has to much power now which he didn't before. He actually raced the bike yesterday at a motocross. His first moto the 1st or 2nd lap he popped the back tire. The 3rd lap he had the rear end come out from under him on a corner and dumped the bike over. He got the bike back up but had some trouble getting it in neutral but he got it going and finished 7th out of 13. He was 5th before the wreck. We changed the tire and tube between Motos but his left radiator was leaking to from him laying the bike down. The second moto I topped off antifreeze and he finished 3rd out of 13 riders 2nd moto and he ended up getting 5th overall for the day. He came back in after second moto with his left boot and the whole left side of his bike soaked with antifreeze. I think for his 3rd actual race he done really good for the probablems he had. The track he raced on yesterday was a local track so we have road there before. He has 2 15yr old cuzins that race also one rides a rm250f and the other a kx250f. I have seen him make laps on all 3 bikes. On the 2 4 strokes he keeps them screaming all the way around the track. On his 2 stroke he don't he just looks a little more timid. I don't know if it's the wreck on his bike in his head, if it's the 10-12 extra horses of the 2stroke. Maybe that much power is a handful and wearing him down fighting it I don't know. But his bike has been adjusted its a whole lot more like a XC now than a XS. The power delivery is pretty good we worked all the real snappy out of it pretty much.

• Like 1

No way around it a 250F is fast and fun to ride on a track. Two strokes hold there value pretty good these days you ought to get good money out of the 250SX.

Could the better (in my opinion) suspension on the RM and KX have anything to do with him being more comfortable on his cousins bikes?

He could just like power delivery of a 4 stroke better now, as long as he's riding it shouldn't matter what he prefers. I'm pretty easy going with my kid that way, Im usually just stoked he's out there with us.