2009 side number plates on an 04

hello i just bought a 2004 project for $200 everything is there the bike is intact with a pro circuit water cooler, excel rims, and custom race suspension it needs a top end rebuild, new levers and the air filters put back on. First off, Was it a good purchase? Second off, it doesn't have side panels and i was wondering if 2009 side panels would fit on a 2004. Oh and the bike also came with a pair of O'neil boots only used a few times

Good purchase? ..... Maybe ... if you can keep your parts count and costs down when getting it all together to be a runner.  Try to keep your expenses under 400$ for everything.  Beyond that you will be eating into whatever "good deal" you may have there.

We bought this beater POS late last summer.  I know it looks like crap but take the clothes off of it and it is the same as any other bike.  Mechanically it was in decent overall condition, running, and smoothly running well and strong.  It has been a bit of an ongoing project picking up bits and nits here and there as misc parts deals present themselves.  It is a good runner that is not all that bad to look at now.  It is a 2005.  

I do not think the 09 panels will fit it.  If you already have them, try them.  But don't go buy/order them.  If you are buying, get the right ones for the year of the bike.  You can get a complete set of brand new plastics in any colour you want for just over 100$.  Makes an old bike look like new again.  A common sales tactic is to put brand new plastics on an old piece of crap bike.  ... kinda like that song from years ago:  "she ain't pretty she just looks that way".  I go the other way, I look for the ugly bike that has a good condition undercarriage and pretty it up later.

Have fun with it!

IMG_3605.JPG

Edited by FaceDeAce

Oh thank you for your input, i just figured even if it turns out to be to much work i can sell the parts for more then what i payed so either way i can make a profit just used excel rims go for like 300

and if you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for yours? it doest look 2 bad 

Yes, was running.  Needed some minor attention tho.  Mainly the valves needed to be shimmed and the carb a good cleaning and new pilot jet.  And of course about 3 quick back2back oil changes to get the internals cleaned up.   Since then it has been a very good reliable runner.  It runs well, but cosmetically it was and still is a piece of crap.  We haven't put any of the lipstick on it yet ;) (aka new plastics and decals) ...  I have since picked up a brand new muffler/silencer for a bargain and trashed the one in the pict, we put new hand grips on, new levers, put one new plastic side plate on the back, and changed a bunch of bolts using one of those bolt packs you can buy off the cashier counter at the bike shop.  We also put a new rear tire on it, not really needed that badly, but being a new2us bike and we had one, it got put on.   Next up on the todo list for it is one fork seal.  Will change all the fork and shock oil (both fronts and back) while am at it. 

Edited by FaceDeAce