250fx starting issue

The other week it was very cold and my lithium ion battery wouldn't start my bike. I kicked and kicked, and kicked some more and I couldn't even get to it even pop a little. Anyone else ever have this problem? I ended up having to hook my bike up with jumper cables to get it to fire. After running for a while, I didn't have any issues all day.

I'm not sure. I don't really care that the battery died, Im just confused why I couldn't kick start it

Was the battery fully charged?

I have a Tusk Li-ion battery that worked great all weekend with my e-start-only FX but it's new and it wasn't cold out.

Once again, not concerned about the battery... just want to know if anyone else has issues starting the bike with the kick start

My FX doesn't have a kick starter but might a discharged battery on your bike draw enough power from the kick to prevent starting?  I don't know if it would or wouldn't but a bad battery might impact kick starting where a good battery would not.  If it was me, I would try to eliminate that as a possible cause.

I seem to recollect the fi needs the battery to run. Dead battery means no run. Pretty sure if you had it warm and you pulled the battery out it wouldn't start.

Yes, I had exactly this issue with my Shorai after leaving the bike outside in sub-zero temperatures.  Apparently lithiums need to warm up before they can put out full power.  The recommendation is to turn on your headlight for 30 seconds before using the starter.  Unfortunately that doesn't work on bikes where the headlight only comes on with the engine running.
 However I was able to kick start the bike OK.

Not sure if this was coincidence but after this incident the Shorai never held power for more than a few days and I had to throw it out and replace it. 

When I was doing my supermoto conversion, I was testing the headlight and turn signals like crazy on mine. Ended up draining it to the point the e-start wouldn't fire enough to get it to turn, it just clicked. 1 kick and it fired right up.

If you had a hard time starting it, I think there may have been something else going on, or the battery just wasn't ready.

My 2 suggestions would be: 1) check your idle screw. After messing with mine a bit I found it's much harder to start when I have it idle higher. Could be me, but worth a try. And 2) take the Li-Ion battery inside on cold ass days. I know you said you weren't worried about it but that's the main reason why I haven't switched mine to one. It takes them forever (when you're wanting to ride it seems like forever) to be able to flow enough.

Also, it depends on when the last time you rode and exactly how cold it really was.

I wouldn't worry too much about it going forward though.

Edited by StankBarley

I have a cheap battery tender batter i think it weights 1 lb it was like 60 bucks from amazon. Its on my 15 FX i changed it right away so over 1 year on the battery and i've never charged it and it has sat for a couple months before and always starts. Recently i took off the kick starter because it is a pain to start it, i've never used it.

I've got an old school WR (2004). I got tired of replacing batteries so I just pulled it out completely. She kicks over in 2 to 3 kicks even without a battery. That was before the days of fuel injection and fuel pumps that require juice to move fuel. Y'all got me second guessing the dependability of FI bikes

On 4/10/2017 at 11:40 AM, Gregk4130 said:

Once again, not concerned about the battery... just want to know if anyone else has issues starting the bike with the kick start

Yes. The bike is hard to kick start.

I have a Shorai. It failed on me the day of a race. I kicked for 5 mins and gave up. Another rider came over and started it with one kick. Don't touch the throttle. Kick it hard and smooth, if you can get the hard and smooth combo right. Also make sure your idle knob is set correctly (not too low).

Shorai did warranty my battery, BTW.