Setting up a bike for Chadwick?

For those of you guys who ride the rough and rocky trails and Chadwick, I was wondering if you could give me some tips and tricks for getting a bike setup for that kind of terrain.  The bike I’m trying to make Chadwick friendly is an 04’ RM250.  I’ve already cranked up the tension on the power valve spring to smooth out the power a little bit.  It’s got an FMF Gnarly pipe on it, so the low end/mid range power is pretty decent.  Not sure if I need a flywheel weight or not…..I put a few hours on the bike down there last weekend and although I was working the clutch a bunch, but I never really felt like I couldn’t keep the bike running and I needed a heavier flywheel. I’ve put a set of bark busters, pipe guard,  and a skid plate on it, so that part should be covered.

Currently the bikes got the stock 13/50 gearing…..which for down there seems really big.  I was in 1st gear most of the time, although I did hit 2nd, and even 3rd a few times on some wide open spots.  I’m wondering if I could gear down a little bit for the tighter technical rock stuff…maybe drop down to a 12 tooth in the front?  Or will that make the bike even more stitch on the throttle?

As far as tires go….what’s something durable that will hold up to the sharp rocks out there, but still stick good to the slippery stuff?  I’m thinking about trying one of the Shinko R505 Cheater tires on the rear…it’s a super sticky trials bike compound, but in more of a MX lug pattern.  I’ve heard lots of guys like them for woods trails.

Any other tips of tricks for making a bike more Chadwick friendly would be great.  Thanks!

I would recommend a FWW (flywheel weight).  I'm still kicking myself for not putting one on my '06 YZ 250.  It will help smooth the hit out / increase traction; it's not really for helping with stalling.  

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with how a RM 250 is geared stock.  The stock YZ 250 gearing felt great so I never changed it  I don't know about dropping one on the front, that seems like a lot.  You could probably go one tooth bigger on the rear without needing a new chain.

That's surprising that you're spending so much time in 1st gear though.  I would think most 250s would pull 2nd pretty much at a crawl.  

Edited by redrider144

I use an 11oz weight on my YZ, FMF Fatty pipe, stock gearing (13/49 I believe it is), nothing done to the exhaust valve or anything like that. I use first gear to get moving and in the really gnarly tight stuff, otherwise second and up is good for most all else. I've never rode an RM there, so no clue as to what to do about it, but a FWW couldn't hurt. As for tires, I use Shinko 524/525s. They grip almost like trials tires on the slick rock and have normal good knobby characteristics in the gravel and mud, plus they're cheap and wear very well for the amount of stick they give. The main thing to have at Chadwick is a properly set up suspension, I've tried to ride there on stock MX stuff before and it was a total deflection nightmare. I have RT Gold Valving in mine on both ends, shimmed them as RT suggested and it works great. :thumbsup:

As far as tires go….what’s something durable that will hold up to the sharp rocks out there, but still stick good to the slippery stuff?  I’m thinking about trying one of the Shinko R505 Cheater tires on the rear…it’s a super sticky trials bike compound, but in more of a MX lug pattern.  I’ve heard lots of guys like them for woods trails.
Any other tips of tricks for making a bike more Chadwick friendly would be great.  Thanks!

Shinko 505's are great tires for Chadwick. Great grip for the rocks, and they don't chunk out.