What Class Do I Enter In???

I'm thinking about getting into motocross racing, but I don't know what class to enter in. Should i go to the Beginner 250 class, or the Beginner 125 class. I am 13 years old and I am an experienced dirt biker for my age. Any tips for beginning motocross, controlling nerves, etc.? Much appreciated!

Start with beginner for sure. Win your way to next class.  It's the best way :thumbsup:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Start with beginner for sure. Win your way to next class.  It's the best way :thumbsup:

Do you race motocross? Since we both live in New York I was just wondering if you do race then what organization are you racing in. For me, i was thinking Upstate Motocross.

• Like 1

How tall and heavy are you? Unless you are a giant, smaller bikes would be better at your age. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HappyAndy said:

How tall and heavy are you? Unless you are a giant, smaller bikes would be better at your age. 

I am 6 foot and a half and about 145 pounds

37 minutes ago, Nathan Trudeau said:

Do you race motocross? Since we both live in New York I was just wondering if you do race then what organization are you racing in. For me, i was thinking Upstate Motocross.

Well I haven't in couple years but yes have over 20 years in and was a exspert at one time. D3,D4,D6 few others aswell.Did few harescrambles last year but hurt a tendon so still nursing that. sore after last 2 days riding.Upstate mx i think is fairly new cause lot of districts lost rider numbers.  Use to be booming around here two pro tracks close by. And I started in 125 beginner class :thumbsup: well raced a cr500 first year but I don't count that lol and don't recommend it either 

Edited by Motox367

5 minutes ago, wielywilly-g said:

6.5ft prety tall for 145 lbs.... What bike you on?

Just to clarify, I'm not 6 foot 5 inches, I meant I'm 6 foot and half an inch. Right now i ride a little ttr-125 as a little play bike but definitely need something bigger

12 minutes ago, Nathan Trudeau said:

Just to clarify, I'm not 6 foot 5 inches, I meant I'm 6 foot and half an inch. Right now i ride a little ttr-125 as a little play bike but definitely need something bigger

6.5 ft is 6'6", and people don't really give their ht to the nearest 1/2".  6ft is fine, or 6'1".  I see there is a class for your bike Senior-mini if you have small wheels and Open-mini if you have big.  Seems the perfect starting place IMO.

For your size and weight a yz125 would be great for motocross. Your still light enough for it to carry you good and your big enough to man handle the bike. My boy at that size could make a yz125 scream. I got rid of my boys yz125 last year when he was 14 because he growed a little to much for it. He was 6ft 2in and about 180. He could man handle that bike but at that weight he was just starting to tear up to much stuff. The yz125 could no longer handle him anymore. Since you are already used to a 4 stroke a yz250f maybe a better option though. The only way to ride a 125 is to just keep it screaming all the time if your not used to that then the 250f would probably be better. At that age you never know when a growth spert is coming and a 125 could be to little for you fast. Just something to thing about.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, SonsRexspensive said:

For your size and weight a yz125 would be great for motocross. Your still light enough for it to carry you good and your big enough to man handle the bike. My boy at that size could make a yz125 scream. I got rid of my boys yz125 last year when he was 14 because he growed a little to much for it. He was 6ft 2in and about 180. He could man handle that bike but at that weight he was just starting to tear up to much stuff. The yz125 could no longer handle him anymore. Since you are already used to a 4 stroke a yz250f maybe a better option though. The only way to ride a 125 is to just keep it screaming all the time if your not used to that then the 250f would probably be better. At that age you never know when a growth spert is coming and a 125 could be to little for you fast. Just something to thing about.

Which bike do you think I would be faster on? I know I'll be able to adapt to the 2 stroke.

Although I am use to four strokes, so the 250f might be easier and faster for me. Do I have to have a almost new bike for motocross though? Because I don't think I can afford that.

If you know how to ride a 125 and are light enough it can run with the 250f on a motocross course. My son raced yesterday and there was a kid on a yz125 in the open A class with the big 450's. He finished about 5th overall and there was some real good riders and some pro's their. That 125 sounded little a pissed of bumble bee just screaming the whole race. He also raced 250 B and he won that class on the yz125. But not to many people can handle running top speed and never letting of all the way around a motocross course. For most people and the average rider the 250f would be faster and easier to ride. It just really depends on you riding style and ability. Like I said earlier at your age a growth spert could hurt you on the 125 also. At 145-150lbs it will scream at 170lbs you'll start tearing stuff up if your riding it hard. If you talk your mom and dad into buying you a new bike and in 6 months it's to little they might not like buying another one. With the 250f you will be good no matter what. My 15yr old son has a 250 2 stroke and he is wanting to go down to the 250f because it has less power and easier to ride. To much power isn't good either because it can wear you out faster fighting it.

• Like 1

Cost is the good thing about the yz125. You can buy used and rebuild them cheap and have a real nice bike. I am a 2 stroke guy, I don't mind to buy a used 2 stroke bike. Because I can do all the work myself and it's cheap. A 4 stroke is a whole different beast in every way. They are hard to work on and extremely expensive to work on. That's why my boy went from a yz125 to a KTM 250sz. Because I didn't want anything to do with a 4 stroke bike. If my boy does get a 250f it will be new with a 2-3yr extended warrenty and it will be gone before the warrenty is up probably.

I read about your son. Although he may be scared of his bike after the crash, at least he still stuck with motocross racing and didn't quit. Best of luck for him. When i got my ttr-125 it was perfect for me, then i hit a growth spurt and i out grew the bike in a few months. Hopefully i can convince my parents into a bigger bike, leaning towards the 250f. It would be a huge upgrade for me and would last me a while....PERFECT!!!

Yes probably 250f way to go know days but learning to ride a 125 flat out will greatly improve your skills to a bigger bike. Momentum and corner speed :thumbsup:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SonsRexspensive said:

If you know how to ride a 125 and are light enough it can run with the 250f on a motocross course. My son raced yesterday and there was a kid on a yz125 in the open A class with the big 450's. He finished about 5th overall and there was some real good riders and some pro's their. That 125 sounded little a pissed of bumble bee just screaming the whole race. He also raced 250 B and he won that class on the yz125. But not to many people can handle running top speed and never letting of all the way around a motocross course. For most people and the average rider the 250f would be faster and easier to ride. It just really depends on you riding style and ability. Like I said earlier at your age a growth spert could hurt you on the 125 also. At 145-150lbs it will scream at 170lbs you'll start tearing stuff up if your riding it hard. If you talk your mom and dad into buying you a new bike and in 6 months it's to little they might not like buying another one. With the 250f you will be good no matter what. My 15yr old son has a 250 2 stroke and he is wanting to go down to the 250f because it has less power and easier to ride. To much power isn't good either because it can wear you out faster fighting it.

What about the sx150 two stroke?

The KTM 150sx is a great bike it's a 125 with a little extra umph! But being it's a KTM they are expensive all KTM's are and they are not that cheap to work on either. If you are buying new or used you can probably get one of the other brands in a 250f just as cheap or real close.

• Like 1