Kicked my 500 RR-S, it was not too bad

I was curious about how hard or easy it might be to kick over my new, with 4 hours and 60 miles on the motor, 2017 500 RR-S and it was not too bad.  

Now, my last bikes were an 85 CR500R and a 96 CR500R and I never thought they were too hard to get started, even after I had a new piston/ring put in the 96.  It is entirely possible my leg just got used to starting it after a while and I was young-ish when I was doing it some 10 years ago.  

I made sure my bike was cold.  It took 4 kicks but on the 4th kick, she lit up so the kickstarter works.  I will say, if the battery ever goes on a dirt-ride, all tired and worn out, it might be tougher but at least with a tight, virgin-like motor, it can be done so as long as the battery has, what, 8V, we should get it lit provided there is no other issue with the bike/motor.  

I'm also glad, that unlike the KTM has done with their kickstarters for 2017-in that they eliminated them, we have the option and don't have to pay extra for it.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S

I tried with mine when it was just a new born but it was too tight. I will try again soon now that it has more hours on it. I have had a few large bore thumpers so I'm not immune to it. But I will say these modern lighter flywheel engines with a short stroke are far harder to kick start than the thumpers of yore. I had a Yamaha SR500 as my first street bike and it was easier to kick start, so was my BSA 441. None of my 650 singles have even had kick starters. My Norton 850 Commando wasn't bad to start at all if you were serious with the kick starter.

I had read that with these FI bikes you have to kick it about 3 times or so to get the FI system working and probably a capacitor charged if the battery is flat.

But I really do like having the kick starter included as stock. I paid about $220 or so to get the kick start kit from Suzuki for my DRZ400-S.

3 minutes ago, danketchpel said:

I tried with mine when it was just a new born but it was too tight. I will try again soon now that it has more hours on it. I have had a few large bore thumpers so I'm not immune to it. But I will say these modern lighter flywheel engines with a short stroke are far harder to kick start than the thumpers of yore. I had a Yamaha SR500 as my first street bike and it was easier to kick start, so was my BSA 441. None of my 650 singles have even had kick starters. My Norton 850 Commando wasn't bad to start at all if you were serious with the kick starter.

I had read that with these FI bikes you have to kick it about 3 times or so to get the FI system working and probably a capacitor charged if the battery is flat.

But I really do like having the kick starter included as stock. I paid about $220 or so to get the kick start kit from Suzuki for my DRZ400-S.

My 350 starts on the 3rd kick everytime. Never sooner and never later. 

I tried to kick my valentina 2017 500rrs with 500 miles on her over, and it felt like I was gonna break the kicker off of her. so no luck with that, yet.

harder to kick over than my 55' panhead

On 4/11/2017 at 0:28 AM, OscarFox said:

My 350 starts on the 3rd kick everytime. Never sooner and never later. 

Funny and accurate. My starter took a dump this week on a 9 day vacation (see my other thread) so I was forced into kick start duty.

Kicking it harder/quicker makes no difference, just three simple full strokes and my 350 was running 99% of the time, even first thing in the am. I even tried bumping the starter button and letting the fuel pump cycle first, and no difference, third kick...like clock work!

Home now and unloaded and time to peel the right side of the engine apart and see whats broke.

• Like 1

Give me a 500cc two banger any day over kick starting a Beta 4st. I can start my 350 but its a bastard. 

MM

Kicked over my buddies 17 500rrs today that has around 100 miles on it... And damn was that thing hard to kick over.  Took three of us to get her started when he forgot the key on and killed the battery. Definitely a lot harder to start than my 300rr.

Edited by k4f5x0r