Bolt Connecting swing arm to frame seized

So, recently on my Rm 250, i decided to take my swing arm off to replace the bearings, and the bolt that runs threw the frame, engine, and swing arm is seized. Any ideas how to get it out, or any tips from an old timer.  I definitely don't want to ignore the problem and let it get worse.

Snapchat-989378688.jpg

Edited by peyton mcadams
mispelling

Probably the most common problem on the most neglected part of any bike.  PB Blaster,heat and patience has always worked for me.  Same for those stupid chain adjusters, the other part that ends up seized all the time.

• Like 3

WD40 or some other thin lubricant spray.  Get a bigger hammer.

Lay the bike on its side with a block up against the frame right by the swingarm bolt and hit it with a big hammer when trying to get a stuck swingarm bolt out. Getting the bike on a block like that takes all the bounce out of it when you hit it driving the bolt out easier.

• Like 2

Ironically I'm in the process of doing of doing the swing arm, lower linkage after 11 years on my 05 CFR250 that I've had since 2010.

I've been putting this off for a long time but check out my last posted in this topic regarding a seized swing arm bolt and it might help.

• Like 1

Don't resort to those brute force methods as your first option, damage is a likely result. You may end up needing to give it some good whacks, but be patient and work on loosening it up. It can be done. Brass hammer if you have one.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper
  • Like 1

I strongly agree with the Creeper on this one.

My XR swingarm bolt was horribly seized and absolutely wouldn't budge. I tried everything starting very carefully. The writing was soon on the wall. I thought I was going to have to cut it out. 

I gave it one last desperate whack with the lump hammer (very hard) and it started slipping.

Got it out but the bolt was &%$#@!ed. So was my driver. Mushroomed the ends of both. Wasn't easy to find a replacement bolt for a realistic price.

Honda's was astronomical. 

• Like 1

Lead hammers come in handy for this type of thing too.  You don't hear about them too much but they still sell them.

WD40 is a solvent, not a lubricant.

When you use the right stuff (like PB-Blaster or similar penetrating oil) you'll realize how much wd40 actually kind of sucks. 

From there, heat and a BFH.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2017 at 10:14 AM, peyton mcadams said:

So, recently on my Rm 250, i decided to take my swing arm off to replace the bearings, and the bolt that runs threw the frame, engine, and swing arm is seized. Any ideas how to get it out, or any tips from an old timer.  I definitely don't want to ignore the problem and let it get worse.

Snapchat-989378688.jpg

Use the block,  wheel off of course,  I usually have the tank off so I dont have to deal with gas with it laying over,  shock off.  Big hammer,   pb blaster applied liberally and let stand if necessary repeating the pb.   While all of that is going on I cut up a 5 gallon bucket and ziptie pieces of it to the frame and swingarm for protection.  Do it ahead of time and the bolt seems to come out sooner than if you start without that.  Of course when frustration sets in and you really start swinging the "gods" aren't going to let the bolt move until you hit something you are not suposed to. hence,  the bucket before I start. 

This will drive it out without damaging the end of the bolt.  It is a cheap Harbor Freight muffler cutting tool with the chisel end cut off and a slight concave ground on the end.  I fav for blasting out stuck bolts, a short pull of the trigger is all it takes. :thumbsup:

58ed5e9e7b257_AirChisel.JPG.21be5fa6e84e10d19e310efa66b8ef63.JPG

• Like 3