Jump to content

Could you guys help me troubleshoot a problem?

Recommended Posts

I have a 1982 Yamaha XT200J that isn't starting. It will kind of putter but that's it. I gaped the plugs and put new gas in. The battery is charged and I don't know what's wrong. If you need more info let me know! Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check the valve clearance, could be a tight valve. 

Also could be a dirty or plugged pilot jet, or float height problem.

I'm assuming that while gapping the plug you checked for spark? Was it a strong spark?  Is the plug really old or an off brand? Try a brand new NGK.

'82 could possibly still have points and condensor. If it does, replace them. I've seen points and condensor ignitions that had a spark in open air, and good points gap, but would not run. Replacing the points, condensor and spark plug made them run like new. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It takes more energy to make the spark plug arc when the atmosphere is under compression than it does with the spark plug removed and grounded against the head.  I have seen cases where the plug would show good spark when removed from the engine but would not ignite the fuel/air mixture when under compression. This was due to a weak or failed condensor in each case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It takes more energy to make the spark plug arc when the atmosphere is under compression than it does with the spark plug removed and grounded against the head.  I have seen cases where the plug would show good spark when removed from the engine but would not ignite the fuel/air mixture when under compression. This was due to a weak or failed condensor in each case.

I know what your talking about but I narrowed it down to the ignition coil. About 35 bucks on eBay's so should be all good thankfully

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is the other half of the equation, the ignition coil.  I had one of those go bad in my 1965 Mustang.  It took me two years to track that down as it was an intermittent failure at first.  Glad you figured it out.  Usually a bad condensor will manifest itself with burned/pitted points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×