Odd problem starting

Hey guys!! First post here. I have had an 09 Drz400sm for 2 years and I love it!! Anyway, the other day just after a ride I went to start bike and it barely turned over just enough to start. It did this for a few days and finally stopped and the starter solenoid would click. My battery is about a year old and this bike is my daily driver so it never sits. Last year I replaced the connector under the fuse, not before buying a new battery and not needing it.I tried starting it by jumping the two terminals on the relay. And nothing. After doing that I now have no clicks when starter is pressed.  Now even when I turn the ignition on I get no speedo neutral light but headlight is dim. When I press the starter the speedo and dash lights come on but no clicks and nothing else happening. Anyone have any ideas? Iv looked at most of the connections and besides minor corrosion they actually look good despite riding all year round in New England with frickin salt all over her!!! I wash all the time with salt neatralizer which helps except it has eaten away at the lower left case cover. Any ideas on my electrical problem would be very appreciated!! I could not find a thread with similiar problems which is why I finally made an account. Iv been a guest to the website since I owned my bike and almost always found solutions to my problems quick. Thanks guys!!

You need to start with a fully charged battery.Do you have a motorcycle charger?And then test the battery and the charging system with a dvom.

• Like 2

Yup you could ride it every day but this could still be a battery problem. There could be a wiring issue sucking power while it sits maybe.

stator could be bad...not charging the battery...like others said, need to do some tests to verify the battery is good and the system is charging correctly. It's even possible to have a bad battery.

After throwing a charger on for literally 2 minutes at 15a it starts right up and lights come on. I unplugged charger and same result.I don't get it? Two minutes should not make A difference? I will have to see what it does on my ride to work tomorrow. I have a feeling it may not be charging while riding seeing how after it cranked over just enough to start and went on an hour ride and no difference.