2003 yz250f won't start first kick

So I traded my 06 raptor 350 for a 03 yz250f & it takes for ever to start unless I pull the choke , I've changed the air filter , I drained ad added no oil & radiator fluid , I just added a new spark plug yesterday , can anyone help me with this ? Or is it normal ?

Not enough info.  These are some of the questions on my mind.............

Is this cold start or hot start up?  

Are you wicking the throttle like you're supposed to before kicking on cold start WITH choke on?  

Are you ACCIDENTALLY twisting throttle as you are kicking? ( a major no-no )

When was the last time the valves were shimmed?  

How much did they move if checked?  

Did you ask those questions when you traded?  

Has the carb been cleaned?

If so, when or how long ago?

Is the pilot jet clear?

How old is the gas in the tank?  Is it over a month old?

Do you keep your gas in a plastic gas can?

Edited by ronbuell

Both & yes I give it alittle gas before I try kicking it & i don't know when the valves were last shunned and I haven't done anything like that , I was thinking that I'd need the valves adjusted I just don't know how to and I just added new gas and I always add new gas when I arrive home from riding whenever I ride I come back from riding , or usually fill up gas whenever I'm riding & no I haven't dont anything to the carb

And I also do keep my gas in a 6gal & 5gal plastic gas can

Cold Start, you will need to learn what your bike likes or needs.  Generally 3-4 wicks of the throttle and choke, apply no throttle for cold start.  Hot, it may need Hot Start lever, no choke, no hot start, no choke, no throttle, or it may need a single wick if its jetted lean.  All mine are jetted so they don't need anything on hot startup, 3-4 wicks and choke cold start.  I'd say its just a case of.... "You need to learn the bike start drill for your bike".

• Like 2

Not enough info.  These are some of the questions on my mind.............
Is this cold start or hot start up?  
Are you wicking the throttle like you're supposed to before kicking on cold start WITH choke on?  
Are you ACCIDENTALLY twisting throttle as you are kicking? ( a major no-no )
When was the last time the valves were shimmed?  
How much did they move if checked?  
Did you ask those questions when you traded?  
Has the carb been cleaned?
If so, when or how long ago?
Is the pilot jet clear?
How old is the gas in the tank?  Is it over a month old?
Do you keep your gas in a plastic gas can?

Funny you mention twisting the throttle... I've got an '04 WR that won't start up if I don't twist the throttle. Oddball I suppose.

So I traded my 06 raptor 350 for a 03 yz250f & it takes for ever to start unless I pull the choke , I've changed the air filter , I drained ad added no oil & radiator fluid , I just added a new spark plug yesterday , can anyone help me with this ? Or is it normal ?

I don't think I've ever had a bike that started up on the first kick... Never. Even brand new. My '04 WR takes 3-5 kicks without a battery. My CRF takes about 30... I've got to take a look at valve clearance, for sure...

2 hours ago, SpyderXLT said:

Funny you mention twisting the throttle... I've got an '04 WR that won't start up if I don't twist the throttle. Oddball I suppose.

Prob have it idled down too slow.  These engines are designed to idle around 17-1800 rpm.

Edited by ronbuell

Every bike definitely has its own starting personality but I've owned many over the years and many brands, 2and 4 stroke and none of them started on the first kick

Sounds like a normal yz250f. Yamaha's are Cold blooded when it comes to first starts. I have an 04 yz250f, and it takes within 6-infinity kicks to kick it over.

Accelerator pump has been rebuilt, carb is jetted correctly, oil changed often, plug changed every 6 months, valves in spec, 91+ octane always ran in it, air filter cleaned every 2-4 rides and guess what. Still is a pain to start.

If you want something to start cold first or second kick, your gonna want to get either electric start or a 2 stroke. Just sayin...

one thing i do is give the bike a few primer kicks, push the kick start down slowly 3 or 4 times then give it a good kick.

and as others have said every bike generally likes a specific starting procedure, just need to figure it out.

• Like 1

You just have the learn the tricks of the bike. I had an 02 yz250f that was pretty finicky if I didn't do the right procedure to start it. I had to pull out the hot start and choke, twist the throttle all the way open 2-3 times, then gave it a tiny bit of throttle while giving it a few solid kicks. To be fair, it really needed some new jets. My 07 yz250f doesn't like to start cold if I'm on the throttle at all. Again, just learn the bike. It never hurts to go through and check out the valves and carb anyway, especially since the bike is new to you.

My 2005 YZ250F starts first kick hot or cold almost always. The 2004 YZ250F is usually 1st or 2nd kick hot or cold. Occasionally they will be a pill and take a handful of kicks. Clean the carb and check the valves. Also, get the bike at TDC before giving it a good solid/ long kick. My kids will struggle sometimes starting them and I will get on and start it 1st kick. You can look here for the hot start parts. The plastic hot start screw (on the carb end of the cable and screws into carb) like to crack or threads get buggered up. I would recommend replacing that when you fix the hot start parts.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/4

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=20003+yz250f+hot+start+screw&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X20003+yz250f+billet+hot+start+screw.TRS0&_nkw=20003+yz250f+billet+hot+start+screw&_sacat=0

Edited by GettingThere