Fork oil

So I need to change a fork seal on my FX, only 20 hours on the bike, but it will not stop leaking. Yes, I have cleaned under it.

My question is, I am going to change the one seal, and obviously put new oil in. The 3 local dealers all do not carry the "yamaha S1" fork oil ( got that info from my owners manual ) as well, I cannot find what weight of oil is used. So will it be best to change the oil in both forks? Change both seals and oil?

What weight / brand oil is recommended.

43 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

At twenty hours I would change the oil in both. Any major brand 5wt will work fine. I have used several different brands and never could tell the difference.

Disagree.  The "do both" argument is founded on the logic that the next one can't be far behind. At 20 hours I don't think so. The one side got damaged, not worn.

Edited by gatorfan

41 minutes ago, gatorfan said:

Disagree.  The "do both" argument is founded on the logic that the next one can't be far behind. At 20 hours I don't think so. The one side got damaged, not worn.

I didn't say anything about the seals. You read something that was not there, where's the logic in that? XR, my thoughts on the oil will have you equal with both being fresh and of the same brand.

Edited by YHGEORGE

I didn't say anything about the seals. You read something that was not there, where's the logic in that? XR, my thoughts on the oil will have you equal with both being fresh and of the same brand.

This is what I was thinking, but Ive never had to do this before.

Now, of course the manual says to use Yamaha S1. Will any fork oil do?

34 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

I stand corrected. I tend to skim read a lot of these threads, sorry.

3 hours ago, XRalways said:

My concern, is the oil will not be the same in both forks. I only planning on changing the one seal, but should I drain all the oil from the other fork, and re-fill it with the same oil that will go into the repaired fork.

If you already had the same oil and oil height in the non repaired fork, and in good condition. I would say yeah just change the bad fork seal.

since that instant the case , I say do both.

changing oil brands even of the same weight will change the platform slightly

Edited by Spud786

At 20 hours, change the oil in both forks and inspect the bushings.

You'll be surprised when seeing the amount of break-in wear particles glittering in the oil.

Now can also be the time to start experimenting with oil volume,

if you want a plusher fork deeper in the stroke (last 3rd of travel)  re-fill them to the minimum spec amount.

Easy to add a more later on (with a syringe thru the bleeder hole) if required.

Pick a name brand 5W fork oil that's easy to find locally.

Edited by mlatour

i changed my Yamaha fork oil recently and wanted to use the exact same stuff since i had the forks adjusted the way i like them and didnt want them to change. I ordered the S2 oil from either motosport or motorcycle superstore (cant recall), but they had it and it was the factory Yamaha brand s2 fork oil. 

Change the oil in both. Both inner and outer chambers. You won't need to separate the tubes on the fork with the good seal.

I use Maxima 5wt. My Maxima preference is because that is what I used on my first fork service back in 08, and I always seem to have some on hand; maybe just need to buy an extra liter or so. It's less expensive and I always seem to spill some doing the inners.

I've had some issues with aftermarket seal/bushing kits. Nothing major. But for the price difference I've settled on genuine Yamaha seals and bushings.  It's $55 for seals/bushings/wipers from RMATV. I sometimes have a set of Tusk seals on hand just in case. Keep thinking I want to try the SKF seals, but with my luck I'd nick one on the 1st ride and it's not worth the cost.